Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Blind

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

Hey to all the good folks at BleepingComputer !!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Emachine, T1740, with Windows Xp Home Edition on it.
I'm lost when it comes to dealing with hardware that won't install right.
This computer was givin to me. It was loaded with a few viruses and had issues I couldn't even begin to explain, like.....wouldn't copy or paste, freezes up, etc...
So, I put a fresh copy of Windows XP Home, on the computer and started over.
I had to go to Emachine website to get a few drivers and I'm still having problems with a small issue.
When I plug a PNY flash/thumb drive into any usb port, front or back, the computer just doesn't see it. Nothing happends. I went into DEVICE MANAGER and everything looks ok in there, says all is working fine!
There are 2 usb ports on the front of the machine and there are 4 on the back......none work.
Any and all help is very much appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:04 AM

Try going into the Device manager with the PNY drive plugged into the USB and right click on icon of the monitor at the top of the column and then click on Scan for haredware changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

I tried what you said and none of the 6 ports noticed anything being plugged into them. I also tried a webcam , just to see if the ports might recognize it, and they didn't.
This is really puzzeling.
Got any more suggestions ? Thanks for working with me !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

Does Device Manager reflect the USB controllers as being properly installed (no yellow or red markings)?

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

If the drivers for the USB controllers are already properly installed...you might try uninstalling them from the controllers...rebooting...and installing them (make sure you have copies downloaded) again.

Or you simply try to update them.

Louis

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

I did all that you suggested. I uninstalled the drivers for the controllers and reinstalled them. That didn't phase it. I did the "root hubs" also. I went into BIOS and set the BIOS to the fail safe-defaults.
I have also noticed, now that I have plugged speakers up to it that there is no sound. I looked in control panel and under " Sounds and Audio Devices" it syas " No Audio Device".
The speakers are pluged into the green outlet in the back of the computer and I know these speakers work because i just tested them on another computer.
Other than these 2 issues, the computer is fine. It has AVG and Zonealarm on it. SP2 and Im putting SP3 on it today.
Any more suggestions ?
Thanks a million for all your help so far !

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone have anymore advice ? This computer really has me puzzled.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

Onboard NIC and USB functions...seem to be (IMO) highly likely to fail...whereas onboard audio and video seem to endure.

My solution is to always have a PCI NIC and a PCI USB 2.0 card that I can use when the onboard proves troublesome.

My experience says that there is warning or indication of failure when these components malfunction.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

#8 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

So I just install a USB card and an Audio card ? If this is my last choice, then thats what I'll do. I looked on Newegg . com and found those 2 cards for $50.00 total....shipping and everything.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:05 PM

Last choice for Windows is always same : Format and re-install :thumbsup:

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:25 AM

I just put this Windows XP Home installation on this computer. It is barely a week old. What do you mean " re-install ?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

The "no audio device" message indicates (normally) that the drivers have not been installed.

Running the drivers CD that came with your eMachines system...ought to take care of that...or you can search the eMachines website for updated audio drivers...download same and install those.

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#12 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

None of the above worked, sorry. I have went ahead and ordered a USB port card and a sound card. I should get both this week and will let ya know how that works. If they don't work, I will treat this computer like Ole' Yeller !

#13 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Well, I got in the USB card from NewEgg, and it works great ! It came with 4 external ports and one internal port(whatever thats for ???), and after installing it, I now have USB ports working ! I ordered a sound card and it came with the wrong metal end. The one in the pic I ordered had long metal end and the one they sent me had a short metal end. After calling the company, they are sending me the correct metal end,( like the pic had), and I will swap out the end myself. I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I will install it and let ya know my progress! Thanks for all your great help so far !!!

#14 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

I got the sound card,(FINALY), and after installing it, I have sound !!!!!! Now with the USB card and sound card, I can function once again ! I want to thank ALL who helped me . I hope one day to be able to help ya back !

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users