Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Up To The Ati 3850, Got Questions.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChewieBacca

ChewieBacca

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

I'm moving up my video card in my old AGP system and was going to go with the 3850. Well, I've heard Sapphire, HIS, and even Powercolor have problems with drivers, and heard the total opposite of the VisionTek Version of the card. I'm leaning towards the VisionTek one anyways because it only requires a 6 pin power connector compared to the others requiring an 8 pin.

I'm currently running a GeForce 7600 GT, and it runs fine but I've heard the 3850 (even the AGP Version) runs so much better, and want to add one last kick to this old system before starting the ongoing process of building my PCI-E system.

Basically I'm asking if the VisionTek card is worth the 80+ More dollars

The prime reason also, is because the VisionTek Card has the 6 pin connection. I'm getting a new power supply from my uncle, its an 650 but only has 6 pins. (I'm trading him directly for my old video card, for this new power supply).

Edited by ChewieBacca, 30 September 2008 - 11:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

I didn't see any VisionTek on newegg, but like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161225 comes with a 2 molex into 1 8 pin adapter.
Or you could pick up something like http://www.circotech.com/6-inch-6-pin-pci-...ptor-cable.html In short don't pay a ton more just because it has the right kind of power connection. If you've got other reasons fine, but that's a lot to pay for convenience.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

Also, you may want to know if you have an older processor, it can considerably bottleneck the graphics card. It's recommended to have at least an AMD athlon 64 single-core with a reasonably high frequency. Even Newer Pentium 4's can really bottleneck the graphics card. Either way, you're still going to see a performance increase over your old graphics card, but you may not see as big of an increase as you would like/should get.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 ChewieBacca

ChewieBacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

I guess the biggest reason is the drivers, I heard VisionTek uses different drivers and run better than the HIS and Sapphire drivers (I've owned a Sapphire card before but never had any problems) know if there is any truth to this

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

I'm not sure the proper term to use is drivers, because every card model (such as 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870) uses the same drivers straight from the amd/ati website, no matter what brand they are. All three of those manufacturers you mentioned are very respectable. I've had a Sapphire, and it worked fine, and now I'm using a Visiontek graphics card, and it works fine too. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand you get, unless it's some weird off-brand company. Also, I wouldn't pay $80 more for the same graphics card, by a different company.

Now, by drivers, you might mean BIOS. This is the internal instructions that tell the graphics card basic things, like when to turn the fan on, what clock speeds to run at. It's not recommended for everyday users to upgrade the BIOS, but it is possible. I think HIS and Sapphire have BIOS' that work just as well as Visiontek's.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users