Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compag Presario Has Power But All Lights Are Off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 De Heer Poco

De Heer Poco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

I have a Compag Presario SR5010NX using Windows Vista Home Basic.

The computer has been working for over a year with no problem. The problem: Recently when I pressed the On switch, the lights on the Keyboard turn on and then turned off (this is normal for the keyboard). The power supply sent power to all three fans in the computer. But the computer appears to be hibernating or be dead. The switch light on the front panel does not come on. The LCD monitor gets no signal (the light stays amber) etc. I turned the computer on and off several times over a period of several days. I even took the battery out and left it out for several minutes as I think the computer is hibernating and wanted to restore it to ts default state. I also tried pressing the following keys Ctrl+Alt+F7 all to no avail.
Can anyone tell me what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

You may want to open the case and Look for a BIOS Jumper. These are small connectors for special features to work, usually black or blue.

Your computer may have a recovery option by moving this jumper around, or taking it off for a single Boot up. If this fixes the issue you want to
remember how to put it back where it was.

BTW make sure the power is OFF before you try this.

Another option would to use a different power supply, one that you know to work.

#3 De Heer Poco

De Heer Poco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

Thank You.

I did try a different power supply yesterday but the result was the same.
The computer has 2 jumpers (1) CLR_CMOS and (2) CLR_PWD. I removed each one one at a time. And tried to boot nothing. I then moved the jumper individually over to the other side. Nothing.
This is baffling but I will continue. I returned the jumpers to their original position and tried again. The still did not light .

Thanks in advance to who ever can give me some help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

If you get absolutely no picture at any time (except maybe a "no signal" thingie from the monitor) - then it could be a problem with the video card. As a first step I'd suggest testing with another card.

Since this model appears to have the video adapter built into the motherboard, it's possible that there's other damage to the motherboard. But without video it's hard to tell anything.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi

You could try removing any cards (sound card, dial-up modem etc) and CD/DVD drives that are plugged into the motherboard in case one of them is causing the problem.
Steve

#6 Maric33

Maric33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

I received the same computer from a friend and it has exactly the same problem. I haven't changed the power supply.. but have unplugged and replugged things back in with no improvement. I have reset the BIOS.. still .. blank screen. It clearly is a bad BIOS flash or a bad CPU since it clearly doesn't boot from a boot CD. I have tried a new video card with no luck too. I would love to see how your stuggle comes along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users