Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Spiders Set Up Home In Wing Mirrors?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

It's late. Indulge the m0le.

Does anyone know why spiders choose the wing mirror casing for their home? I mean, I can see why they choose it as opposed to the windscreen/shield, for instance, but how do they decide to climb up the side of a car and then set up camp?

There must be some theories for this one. Either that or I'm off to Bleepingarachnid.com :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:52 AM

Since I'm not really crazy about spiders, and I've had this happen too, I believe they do it just to p*** me off. I tried to force them out by useing the power mirror and push them out while driving but that didn't work. So I had to take it into my own hands when I got to my destination... That spider won't do it anymore... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

They are probably attracted to shiny cars... Good reason to get out of cleaning them. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Does anyone know why spiders choose the wing mirror casing for their home?

Because doing it in the Hubcaps makes them dizzy. :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Because they can?
Who cleans the inside of mirrors - no detailers I've ever had....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Just for the heck of it, I searched for "why spiders choose the wing mirror casing for their home". Several related entries.
Here is one with picture of the actual spider living in his mirrored home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93372558@N00/195443164/

Doesn't answer the question, but it may be good to know you are not alone.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

LOL @ wildabeast and no one :thumbsup:

Got a giant spider living on the passengers wing mirror of the girlfriends car, scares the shyte out of me when I see it run towards me as we're driving lol. I keep breaking its web (mean, I know, but I hate them) but it still comes back. I've nicknamed him Frank. :flowers:

#8 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

Introduce Frank to a thing called Bug Spray :thumbsup:
:cool:

I absolutely hate Spiders one of the Worst Creatures on Earth, maybe only a Cockroach is worse than a Spider :trumpet:

Hey do the Spiders happen to look like this :flowers:

:inlove:

Edited by woodyblade, 09 October 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#9 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

If it's an itsy bitsy spider, shouldn't he be climbing up the water spout instead of building a web?
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hey Fellows, hate to tell you this?

Most Spiders are quite harmless to Humans, unless provoked?

I used to have a quite large Spider as the Link shows, she was quite Harmless!

http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/inverts/argiope.htm It may not be the exact one in particular?

She used to build a huge Web at the front of my house, sit in the middle like a Cross? As Harmless as a Fly. We would break the Web up just getting to the House. She never worried, just rebuilt it next day.

One year we had a change of weather? She disappeared for a while? At that time I had quite a few Huntsman Spiders in the house, they were like Pets? I could tap the wall, Concrete, but they would come? They never bothered her. I found her and put her outside again, she built the Web all over.

Then the Ghekos moved in? They are a tiny Lizard that also feeds on Insects and Spiders? No more Spiders here. That is a real Shame, because my Kids Learned that some Spiders are quite harmless to Humans, a bit like Snakes?

Gheckos here.

http://www.stlzoo.org/home/featurednews/geicogecko.htm

Just a bit of History?

Edit. Never get me Wrong? Some of the Deadliest Creatures and Insects related live in Australia. Always take care! But the Harmless ones can be Quite lovable Pets. My Kids could see it, after being shown. Bit like Bindy Irwin?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 10 October 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

I used to unload railcar tankers that came from Texas. I've found more than a few Black Widow spiders inside the domes.
I almost lost my leg ten years ago from what doctors told me was a Brown Recluse spider bite I got while camping
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

I used to unload railcar tankers that came from Texas. I've found more than a few Black Widow spiders inside the domes.
I almost lost my leg ten years ago from what doctors told me was a Brown Recluse spider bite I got while camping

Dead Right, Mate. There are Deadly ones around, just like Humans?

Why say ALL are Dangerious? Why even Think it?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

My wife and I are avid gardeners. I leave things alone. In fact I'll buy and release spiders, lady bugs, and the like.
I just go after whatever destroys the plants
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

My wife and I are avid gardeners. I leave things alone. In fact I'll buy and release spiders, lady bugs, and the like.
I just go after whatever destroys the plants

Most that destroy the Plants are insects that Spiders Kill, without Sprays?

They have a place in our Life?

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

Do you know Ladybugs bite? I had never heard of them doing it but they do. Also, you have not lived til you had a spider crawl out of your keyboard. Like to have scared me to death! LOL I am not particularly afraid of spiders but if they are really big I will get rid of them.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users