Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epic-ly Bad Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well, you guys helped me fix my family's desktop with a partial takeover with the Antivirus XP 2008 problem a month or so ago, but I need your help again.

I haven't really used the desktop very much since that time, I guess because I was afraid something like this could happen again. :thumbsup:

So I turned it on to do some school stuff. Norton bothered me about updating, so I did, then ran a quick scan that picked up a tracking cookie.

After that, I decided to update Malwarebytes and do a quick scan with that, just to be safe or something. In the first minute or so, it picked up 2 things detected. I kept browsing on some football forums to wait while it finished. However, at around 30k files, everything started to slow down a lot.

After a few minutes of this, practically frozen-ness --I assumed MWB was just in a slow part of the disk or whatever-- the comp crashed and gave a fatal error message.

I was like, "Oh poop." and held the power button to restart it. When I did, it scared me even more so by displaying something like the following:

Windows cannot load \Windows\System\system32\config\system

It may be missing or corrupted

(part about using XP disc to fix it)

Please tell me this is fixable. I'm really starting to dislike computers/the internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Another thing I remembered that may or may not have to do with the problem:

After I had updated Malwarebytes, and before I ran the Quick Scan, I looked at the quarantine, saw all the stuff that had been in there from the previous assault, and removed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users