Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Web Browsers Lagging After Smitfraud Infection & Removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Natascha.Berg

Natascha.Berg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hi and thanks for taking the time to help me out with this issue. First some details:

--------------------
System Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Celeron 430 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz
1GB RAM
Radeon HD 3650
Antivirus: Panda IS
Anti Spyware/Malware: Spybot S&D / Spyware Terminator / Spywareblaster / Ad-Aware 2008 Free / HJT
-------------------

I was a little unsure where to post this since I'm not sure whether the problem originated from the malware infection or the subsequent cleanup procedures.
In any case I got infected with some string of Smitfraud - it installed MicroAV, lots of warning windows and it hijacked IE and plastered my desktop with spam icons.
I subsequently ran Spybot S&D which found some entries but not all and the infection came back in full force. I then installed the free version of Spyware Doctor but uninstalled it after discovering it doesn't let you do system scans with that version. Thereafter I ran HJT and cleared several entries identified by the hijackthis.de log file analyzer, each of which I googled and which were related to the Smitfraud infection. I then continued to run Spyware Terminator, Smitfraudfix.exe (2.353) and finally Adaware which seemed to get the last of it. Finally I followed it up with a run of CCleaner clearing temp files and fixing several registry errors. All definitions for all of the anti-spyware programs mentioned were up-to-date and the programs were all on the latest version (not sure about the Smitfraudfix version though).

After rebooting the problem seemed to be fixed, no reappearance of the infection has happened (the system has been rebooted several times since).
However what has happened is that all of my web browsers now experience lag - meaning they freeze during page loads for several seconds repeatedly. The browsers become extremely unresponsive once I go beyond two or three tabs. This problem occurs in Firefox 3.03 / IE7 / Opera 9.52 and Google Chrome so its not related to any specific browser.

I suspected at one point that it may have something to do with my GFX drivers since I had been getting error message from ATI's Catalyst Control Center. After uninstalling .NET Framework and all ATI GFX Drivers and reinstalling the latest version of the drivers that issue however seems to be fixed.

I'm guessing that the problem lies with some windows system files or registry entries which got corrupted or removed but I'm really not sure and couldn't find any similar problem experienced by anyone else after a few Google searches.

Alright, that's about all I can think of right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

NB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users