Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which free Firewall & Anti-virus works the best?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Can you please tell me what firewall you are using and why.

For over a month I've been working with someone to get my host back.; whatever that means. Does this mean someone stole my identity? Any way, Windows Update still doesnt reconize or scan for previous downloads. The goal was to get Windows SP2 installed.
I have had past experince with SP1a disconnecting me from the internet. Now I realize it could have been all the spyware and trojans I had on my system.
Can you please share with me what (free) firewall and (free)anti virus your using, preferably im interested in shareware programs. I have Avast and not all the features are enabled.
Not at all knowledgable with opening ports, configuring ip and USD.
Im asking if someone will be kind to help me to setup my firewall setup as safely as any technician would do on his computer.
I am extreemly patient and truely appreciate time given to help protect the best way from Hijackers and spyware,etc

Needing protection soon,
Lyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

Hi Lyn

If you would just visit the link below. You will find a most informative tutorial on computer security. The programs mentioned, are highly recommended and used by many here at Bleeping Computer. If you have any questions just reply to this thread. And someone will be more than happy to help you.

Simple Steps to Keep Your Computer Secure

preferably im interested in shareware programs

Shareware programs have a lot of spyware come along for the ride. So you should do your best to stay away from them. Besides there are a lot of trusted "freeware" programs available. Which may be what you meant. :thumbsup:

If you do not have a firewall, please make it a point to install one immediately if not sooner. You would not jump out of an airplane without a parachute, now would you. :flowers:

I had Avast. And it is a fine program. But I found it to be let's say... not very user friendly. Lol For me anyways. I now use Free AVG. More simple to use. I think so that is. And just as a fine program as Avast. I also use ZoneAlarm Free (firewall). The only one I've ever had. And I like it so I am sticking with it.

Edited by scarlett, 28 April 2005 - 09:37 PM.

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

To answer your main question, I use AVG Free as my anti-virus, and Sygate Personal Firewall, both of which I have used for several years.
AVG has all the essential features of an anti-virus, a straightforward interface, and issues new definitions (the heart of any AV) frequently; it will scan downloads and prevent opening any it finds infected. The only problem is that it is a little awkward to configure with your POP Email client. From time to time, I use one of several web-based scans; these have never found anything that had been missed by AVG. There is a quasi-official user support forum for AVG free and pdf documention.
Sygate is very good, and when tested, puts me entirely in stealth mode; it has a backtrace and whois function built in to allow you to find out who, for example, is scanning your ports. The logs are useful, and you can change access status by application. The help section is well written for someone new to firewall use.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:44 AM

Hi Scarlet,
I do want my IE options set to be the safest as possible.
However, after I made changes in IE Options, this forums
members tools and controls were no longer active. I know theres
something to add to Options to "allow' members choices to show.
But what is it and where do I add it?
You might want to bring this to attention of administors to also add to "Make your Internet Secure".
And when you can tell me how set my internet option safely with adding and "allowing my controls to show." I will gladly set it back to the most secure settings.
Learning to protect myself from hackers,
Lyn

Edited by Lyn, 29 April 2005 - 01:49 AM.

#5 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

yeah i use both AVG and sygate. seems very good at doing the job

#6 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:19 PM

In doing my research I found the FREE version of Sygate;

SYGATE PERSONAL
A freeware version called Sygate Personal Firewall OMITS the intrusion
detection system, advanced configuration options, and VPN support. :thumbsup:

Is this true with your version :flowers:

#7 St_Anger

St_Anger

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

I have to use Norton. I dont like it that much so a while ago i downloaded Sygate. I installed it and everything, but i couldn't connect to the internet or anything. There was a clash between and Norton and Sygate eventhough Norton was disabled. Anyone know why this happened?

#8 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

Dear ST.Anger.
I have been doing much research on firewalls. And if theres one important
issue to remember; is you CAN NOT run two anti-viruses nor firewalls, since they cause conflict.
If I may ask, if not please forgive me for asking; did you download the free version of sygate? My purpose of asking is I read a review of Sygate and it said in the free version, it omits the intrusion detection system, advanced configuration options, and VPN support.
Please in form if theres a free version which all is enabled?
Lyn

#9 St_Anger

St_Anger

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

I downloaded the free version of Sygate, but i didn't get a chance to configure it to what i wanted it to be like because i wanted to at least connect to the internet first, and i was read somewhere it was reasonably effective with 'little or no configuration'. I didn't get a chance to look around it properly to see weather or not it had or did not have what you specified.

And if theres one important
issue to remember; is you CAN NOT run two anti-viruses nor firewalls, since they cause conflict.

I do know this, which is why i disabled Norton Firewall (antivirus still running, bad idea?) and enabled Sygate before i connected to the internet, i could still not connect. I have AVG and Norton antiviruses, and there is no conflict, well i dont think so.

Does this answer your question?

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

Re Sygate - I have 3 computers networked and set up file & resource sharing. Slight problem - I could not configure the Firewall inbuilt in my trusty Trend Micro Internet Security to allow the other two PC's to see mine - Pings just timed out. I checked the FAQ at Trend and there was a fix but it didn't work for me - so - since I did NOT want to connect to the internet without a Firewall I disabled the Trend Micro one (everything pings fine) and installed Sygate Personal. Network is fine. Just one slight flaw - I cannot connect to the internet at all - that is to say I can dial up and connect but even though some data is received no applications respond. Can't browse, can't email, can't update.
A brief look at the Sygate configuration left me none the wiser. I cannot uninstall the Trend firewall because its part of my AV package. So my only option was uninstall Sygate and back to square one.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as St Anger :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 03 May 2005 - 08:35 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

Re Sygate - I have 3 computers networked and set up file & resource sharing. Slight problem - I could not configure the Firewall inbuilt in my trusty Trend Micro Internet Security to allow the other two PC's to see mine - Pings just timed out. I checked the FAQ at Trend and there was a fix but it didn't work for me - so - since I did NOT want to connect to the internet without a Firewall I disabled the Trend Micro one (everything pings fine) and installed Sygate Personal. Network is fine. Just one slight flaw - I cannot connect to the internet at all - that is to say I can dial up and connect but even though some data is received no applications respond. Can't browse, can't email, can't update.
A brief look at the Sygate configuration left me none the wiser. I cannot uninstall the Trend firewall because its part of my AV package. So my only option was uninstall Sygate and back to square one.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as St Anger :thumbsup:

Hi Rimmer and every body
For firewall you guys try out Kerio firewall ,have LAN settings and I think it is
simple to config JL

#12 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:31 AM

Samething happened to me when I installed SP1a awhile ago. No internet, no mail and no place to go to setup since my computer froze even after every reboot.
So should I stop thinking and working on downloading Windows SP2?
What firewall should I feel more confident about. Seems like its the old download and prey test.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:25 AM

Lyn it looks like I'm a learner here as far as freeware firewalls is concerned. I've downloaded Kerio and will see what that does shortly. In the meantime I tried to install ZoneAlarm - and it politely declined to install saying there would be a conflict with my Trend Micro software! Now that is what I call a well written program! :thumbsup:
If a piece of software goes to the trouble to check whether it's going to cause problems before it installs, it gets my vote every time. :flowers:
Pity I can't use it. Maybe you can? Try www.zonelabs.com

From your original post - "getting your host back" has nothing to do with identity theft it just means re-establishing the relationship with your ISP and the way in which your computer finds addresses on the internet.

Edited by Rimmer, 04 May 2005 - 06:31 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:03 AM

Please Rimmer, I need a firwall ASAP!
Can you tell me if all of Kerios applets are ALL enabled.
What I mean is sometimes with freeware, they disable certain functions to make you pay to get the full version.
The description at the download site more then NOT omit that part of thier program has been disabled.
Im not sure if my ISP problem has been fixed. Im still recieving the question box, asking if ( [Do you still want to work offline or do you want to try to connectB]) while my modem is lit and working.
Lyn

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:03 AM

Lyn - I can't tell you whether Kerio has full functionality because I don't know what the full version does.
The basic job of a firewall is to prevent unauthorised access to your system by closing ports that were open for historical reasons. Any free firewall will do that, some will do it better than others and some will cohabit with other applications better than others (which is what I thought this thread was about). If you need a firewall which blocks external access but also allows you to setup VPN's and change "advanced configuration options" and provide intrusion detection (whatever that means) then perhaps you should purchase one that suits your needs.

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 05:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users