Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Hijack This from Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffit

missmuffit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

Since Hijack This is really best made for true professionals, could you please include a Tutorial on "How to Remove HiJackThis" from one's computer....
Thank you, ..... missmuffit....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

missmuffit, it's really quite simple. Just delete it. Since it is a single executable file, no installation is involved. Right click on HijackThis.exe & choose delete to send it to the recycle bin--the same can be done for HijackThis.zip or any folder you may have created for HT--then empty the recycle bin & it will be gone from your PC.

Since Hijack This is really best made for true professionals

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you still misunderstand. HT is more often the best solution for a newbie. Pros know other ways to rid themselves of hijackers without using HT (besides they would know how to keep themselves from getting hijacked in the first place). But HT is a way that pros can help newbies to rid themselvs of nasties that other programs can't. But to get any benefit from the program, newbies have to use it. That is what it was designed for.

HT is a brilliantly effective tool. It just has to be used correctly. And there is always the chance that accidents will happen. But if you were using a hammer & you smashed your thumb with it, would you throw the hammer away?

Put it another way. If you had never driven a car before & never paid any attention to how driving was done & then you got a job 20 miles out in the country--if you just jumped in a car & tried to teach yourself how to drive you could cause a lot of damage. But if you had someone to teach you how to drive--show you where the brakes are, the gas pedal, steering wheel, etc., & how to do what in the correct sequence, then you could accomplish your purpose & maybe not wreck anything.

Have you been having probalems with hijackers? If so I suggest you read the first part of the HT tutorial on how to post a log and give one of the good guys an opportunity to help. The number of people who have been helped like this is probably in the millions by now. Otherwise you let the bad guys win by allowing them to use your computer to make themselves money.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:14 PM

Missmuffit HijackThis is one of those things that you do not need until you need it then you really need it. But you can always load it again IF that situation comes up.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,676 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:18 PM

MissMuffit,

As both Bluie and Papa said, the HijackThis program is just the single file hijackthis.exe. If you delete this file then the program is removed from your computer.

HijackThis does add some entries to your Registry that contains the configuration settings that you use in the HijackThis config section, but it is not necessary to delete that before you delete the hijackthis.exe file.

#5 Jennai

Jennai

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:13 AM

I also need to delete hijack this, because I already have 3 other anti-spy/virusware thing, and cuz i can't access HJT. (btw, I don't ever recall downloading it, so i don't have any idea how it got in my comp. in the first place)
But when I tried to get rid of it through "add or remove programs", it wouldn't let me get rid of it cuz i didn't have access or soemthing.
when I tried to get rid of the file, as u suggested, I couldn't find it, and the address thing isn't really valid.
Posted Image
can someone help me?
I also tried search, but i don't think it finds setups or folders...
i dunno what to do...

Edited by Jennai, 20 August 2007 - 04:31 AM.

#6 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

Hey Jennai,

have you looked at this one? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96946&hl=uninstaller

Looking at your add/rem list, I can see that your java is outdated. Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 2" here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp download, install and remove any previous version, as this leaves you open to attacks through security holes.

rgds,

Yohi

Edited by Yourhighness, 20 August 2007 - 08:47 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#7 Jennai

Jennai

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

thank you

but...

um...
the thing is, i can't find anything in my comp that's related to this program.

I tried one of the uninstall programs that was in the topic, but it also came up as unable to uninstall.

(would it come up like that if the program file was deleted but if the program itself wasn't? i think some of the viruses I had on the comp did that....)

and..
since i'm pretty much of a comp noob, can someone tell me step by step on how to download the javas thing?

so sorry...

#8 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:40 PM

The old HijackThis 1.98 should only be one exe file, so if you dont find it and the add/remove still show it, it should be fine.
Have a google for it, as I am not sure either how to get rid of it then, if above failed.

Alternatively, download CCleaner, and try uninstalling the tool via CCleaner --> Tools --> Delete Entry

As for the java:
  • Click on the download button when you see this: Posted Image
  • Select "Accept" like here: Posted Image
  • Then download the offline version, as shown here: Posted Image
  • Install the file downloaded and when done, remove all previous versions of Java

Posted Image

#9 Jennai

Jennai

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

thank you!

Posted Image

so... now i just need to uninstall the top 2 java things?

um.. sorry, but one more thing.
is there a way to completely clean the computer? so that all the programs will be cleared (as in like... virus/adware free)?

Edited by Jennai, 21 August 2007 - 01:24 AM.

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

so... now i just need to uninstall the top 2 java things?

Yep. Anything previously to v6 update 2 :thumbsup:

is there a way to completely clean the computer? so that all the programs will be cleared (as in like... virus/adware free)?

I am not entirely sure what you mean, but have a look at this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ . Is it along those lines?

Posted Image

#11 Jennai

Jennai

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

Great!

and... i meant sorta like reinstalling the whole computer so that all the files and virus remaints would be deleted.

#12 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hey Jennai,

then we have two options and I would suggest going by it in the order I will list them:

1. follow the instructions under the link provided in my prev post ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ ) and have some trusted helper go through the process with you

2. Follow these instructions to reinstall your windows xp (or do you have a different Operating System): http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1435

Posted Image

#13 Jennai

Jennai

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

thank you so much!!!

#14 Jess G

Jess G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hello, I was having a similar problem. I was able to get rid of the 1.99 executable by installing 2.02 then uninstalling, but it still left a folder in my Program Files called "Trend Micro" that I can't delete because it's "not empty." Nothing is showing up when I view hidden files. Same goes for the original folder "hjt" that sits annoyingly on the desktop. I inherited this older computer from my dad, who was going to throw it away. It runs XP, and he installed Hijack This at 1 time or another. I also can't get rid of even the temporary folder from Hijack This. I tried downloading KillBox, and even that doesn't do they trick. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

#15 Jess G

Jess G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Supposed to be "the" in the previous post, if you hadn't guessed. :thumbsup:

P.S. The temporary folder I spoke of is "Temporary Directory 3 for hjt.zip"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users