Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remember User Name And Password Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cosmo727

cosmo727

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hello smart computer people

Using XP Professional. The computer is normally left on or in stand-by. When I visit web pages with user name and password it has the option to remember me. I check the box and it works great as long as I don't shut down or reboot the computer. Is there something in IE or Windows that is deleting cookies after shutting down or rebooting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
cosmo727

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hello cosmo727,

I would imagine that temporary internet files and cookies are being deleted when you close your browser. Have you set the browser to do this?
Also just to be safe, have you tried using a different browser to test if its just IE related?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 cosmo727

cosmo727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.

As long as I leave the computer on or in standby I can close the browser any number of times and and it works fine. Only when I shut down or reboot does it not remember user names and passwords. If I do have it set to delete cookies on shut down I have no idea where the setting is. I don't have a different browser to try.

Thanks
cosmo727

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi Cosmo727

If you follow this link you can download Firefox which is an alternative web browser.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Steve

#5 me_ben

me_ben

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hey buddy, You are making click in sites to remember me , if you are doing that in any browser by setting, it will save your informartion till the time you delete it.
Signature removed by admin for failure to follow BC guidelines.

#6 cosmo727

cosmo727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

I found out what is causing the problem. I have sympatico for my ISP with their anti virus software. Now all I have to do is contact them to see how to fix it. That should be lots of fun!!!

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users