Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg And Defragmenting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Does AVG need to be shut down to do defragmenting? In the tutorial section here, it says that anti-viruses sometimes interfere with this process, and it's probably wiser to disable them during. To disable AVG free, do you simply disable the resident shield, or is there a different process?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

It is actually best to defragment your HDD while in "safe mode." Since your AVG or other programs want be running, you want have need or concern about them interfering in the defragging.

EDIT: added comments

You can decrease time to defragment by removing temporary files, logs, etc.
I use Ccleaner for that as it is much faster and more thorough than the cleanup utility that comes with Windows.
I also delete the "restore points" except for the last one. Unless you have adjusted the space allowed for Windows to use for restore points, there could be a few gigs of restore points.
I also don't compress files. (slow process and unless you are in dire need for space, better not to compress.

If you decide to use Ccleaner it offers the Yahoo toolbar during install. UNcheck if NOT wanted.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by buddy215, 29 September 2008 - 06:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

Its always a good idea to have as few running processes as possible when defragging, as buddy215, has said safe mode is best for doing this.

However I have never noticed any problems defragging with the AV turned on.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users