Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start-up After Format

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dudeydan

dudeydan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi, sorry if this has been posted somewhere before but I have searched all over the internet and haven't been able to find a post which has the same problems as I am having now.

I decided to format my harddrive to go back to Windows XP. The windows XP that I have installed is the new Service Pack 3 disk.

After deleting the old partition and creating a new one, the computer formatted and installed a brand new Windows XP on to the harddrive, and then after a successful install the computer restarted, and reached the bit where it's a black screen and at the bottom there are white bars and a white line which goes through them as Windows loads.

On this bit, it takes at least 15 minutes and possibly upto 30.

After the huge wait I logged on and created my new account, and then installed necessary drivers such as Internet, Graphics, Motherboard etc. When all was complete I was asked to restart the computer, and I thought having installed all these drivers the computer may boot up quicker.

But after the restart the black screen with the white bars appeared again, once again taking 15+ minutes to boot up.

Not sure which kind of information you need, so I'll start with the basic things, I'm not that good on computers either.

CPU: Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1GB RAM
Gigabyte 8A667 Ultra 2 (quite old yes)
ATI Radeon X1650 graphics card

Not sure what other info you would need. Also to note that the slow bootup has never happened before, and also when I log onto windows after waiting the 15+ minutes, everything runs smoothly and fast, it's just the bootup that is strange. I have also tried the Black Screen Hang in the bootfix sticky. Thanks in advance, Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Did you run diagnostic on the drive itself?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

Updated your drivers for all your hardware.

#4 dudeydan

dudeydan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hi Louis, yes I've gone into the recovery mode using the windows XP disk and done a CHKDSK, finished fine, also ran a check on C: when I was logged into windows and also another CHKDSK when booting up, all came back clean. Not sure if there's a different way to run a diagnostic..

Hi Cryptodan, I'm really not sure what you mean by "Updated your drivers for all your hardware.", because I did include that I have updated all the hardware on the computer hoping that would be the cause of the slow startup.

Thanks for the replies, Dan

Edited by dudeydan, 30 September 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#6 dudeydan

dudeydan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi Alan, this may be strange but there are no errors or warnings at all in the event viewer

Dan

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

I think I'd try using the XP CD/Recovery Console to run the fixmbr and fixboot commands, since that seems to be the hangup.

I usually try fixmbr first...if that doesn't do it, I try fixboot.

FWIW: You do not have to specify the partition/drive when using either command, the default is the drive initially detected when you entered the Recovery Console.

Louis

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Just to add about the event viewer, did you look in the system group?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

You've done a fresh install of Windows XP and have all the drivers installed.
Have you checked in Device Manager to ensure that they're all present and working properly?

Chkdsk checks the file structure of the file system that's on the hard drive.
FixMBR and fixboot fix the areas that tell the hardware how to access the file system.
The only other hard drive tool that you can use is a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There are links to the most common one's in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users