Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue With Restore And Java

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davidjsf

davidjsf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

I am having problems with System Restore, and Java. I have dled and reinstalled and uninstalled and repeated the process a half dozen times, and I cannot get Java to work. I just dealt with a virus (smitfraud) attack, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic170417-15.html (the link to the topic). The other interesting things are that when I open search, my dog is there, but other than that it is a blank window. Thirdly, system restore will not open, and clean manager locks up. My original issue is that my dell laptop locks up better than half the time when loading up. I just do a hard shut down, and try again. Sometimes it is before I even type in my password to log in, other times it is while my startup programs are starting. The mouse cursor just freezes, and the cpu doesn't advance. Any ideas?

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

Hello David,

It could be a number of things at this point, open up the command prompt and type java -version what does the command return?

the System File Checker, it may be able to help. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

1. Click Start
2. Then run.
3. Type sfc /scannow
4. Press enter.
5. Follow the prompts

The SFC works by checking Windows system files and replacing the damaged files.

Also I would run some free online virus scanners.

1.Eset
2.Kaspersky
3.Bitdefender
4.Panda
5.McAfee

Also the event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#3 davidjsf

davidjsf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Ok. sfc/scannow is not on my cpu. I am trying to find a place to download it now. When I type in java -version, it says 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I reiterate that I have installed java NUMEROUS times. The online scanners won't run due to the issues I am having. I tried bitdefender, and it says there is a script error...

David

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

The sfc /scannow is on Windows XP. The message returned to you indicates that the command was not typed correctly. Make sure there is a space between the c and the /

If Java has been installed correctly the command should return something like this...

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME>java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07)

There is also a space between java and -version.

JavaRa http://raproducts.org/javara.html is a very good tool for removing old and unused Java files and updating to the latest version of Java.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 davidjsf

davidjsf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

I ran the sfc tool. It gave me all sorts of hell for not having my Windows XP cds. Is there any way around having them? I have dled the Java tool, and am about to run them. I will post again this evening to update you on progress.

David

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

There is a way to stop the sfc tool asking for the CD, but this requires you to have a folder from the CD on the computer which may not be there. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html shows you how.

Let us know how you get on with the JavaRa tool.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 davidjsf

davidjsf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Alan,

I followed thier instructions, and it STILL requests the XP cds. From what I can understand, that means my I386 folder is corrupt. If I have an uncorrupted I386 folder on another cpu could I simply copy that onto a cd, and then load it onto the other cpu? or, is there a way to dl it from the internet?

David

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

It doesn't necessarily mean the system has a corrupt I386 folder, if it asks you for the CD then it means that it requires that folder to be taken from the CD. Can you see that folder in your C:\ drive? If not then you may need to borrow a CD to perform sfc.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 davidjsf

davidjsf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

I do have the I386 folder. I am still trying to get a copy of xp, that way I can make sure the program runs correctly. Would copying an i386 folder from another computer possibly be beneficial?

David

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

It may work, but I would advise against it. It would be best if you can get the folder of a CD.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 davidjsf

davidjsf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

While pooling my friends together looking for someone with a hardcopy of xp, I did a little more research on my issue. I ended up running a couple of different programs and now all is well, or so it would seem. I found someone on another site with the same issues, and I ran fixkettle, silent runners.vbs, WUfix.zip, and combofix and it seems to have cleared up my issues. Thank you very much for your help...

David

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:46 AM

No problem, glad to help. Thanks for letting us know what happened :thumbsup: It sounds like a malware infection was the cause.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users