Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

19" monitor need advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 liz123

liz123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

I am planning to buy my husband a 19 monitor and am confused. The top priced one I am considering is a Samsung 930B about $380after rebate. Then, some other makes and models on down in price range. Specs for all are very close with the exception of 1: the Contrast-- these run from 700.1 (Samsung to 400.1. and
2: the Response Time running 8 m (Samsung) to most that are 16m. to one that is 25m

My husband, who is slightly colorblind and also has some slight vision problems, uses the computer a good part of his day. . He currently uses a 17. I might add that his computer will support any of these monitors. And, importantly for this decision, he does not play any games or watch any dvds.
For the most part strictly date.
Should I consider these contrast and response times to be critical in making the decision?
I can get no knowledgable advise at BB, CC or Frys. Thanks Liz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

I'm no great expert on flat panels, but the Samsung sounds like a killer monitor, and the price is good, too. Staples has it with a couple of rebates and you might even get it cheaper - the EZ rebate from Staples as well as the manufacturer's rebate can bring the price down even more. From this discussion I get the idea that this is a pretty good set of specs.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:22 AM

That Samsung sounds good to me!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

My god! 380$ ( = Rs.18,000 in India ), just for a monitor!

I can purchase a whole new computer with a 15" monitor in that money.

any way, Samsung is always a good choice. And in my experience Philips monitors do rock with their affordable price tag.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

jbravo this is a 19" LCD flatscreen we're talking about for about AU$500, and yes I probably could buy a whole system for that money but I wouldn't want to! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users