Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow And Freezing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ironcowboy

ironcowboy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hey,
I could use a little help! :thumbsup:
I don't claim to know a ton about computers, but i do know my way around somewhat.
Anyway, my Internet (firefox) has been really slow lately, as has the rest of my computer. I'm running windows XP (home i think). It also freezes up often, and has been driving me nuts! It sometimes pops up saying that i'm low on memory, but i have not downloaded anything recently, (infact i went through and deleted just about everything i dont use (old games, programs, ect.))
I've ran AVG's free antivirus, and i only get a few tracking cookies (which i keep deleting, but they come back...)
Any idea on what else i should try? Just earlier today i had a folder pop up all frozen and it was MS_WebcheckMonitor... WTH?

Thanks in advance,

~Samuel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

Take a look at the advice of quietman7:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

#3 ironcowboy

ironcowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

Well, i tried to defrag my computer, and it told me volume C only has 5% free space, but it needs 15% to defrag... (i guess i've used up 70gb out of 75gb) so should i start deleting old crap, or move all my pictures over to my seagate 90gb external hard drive?

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

You really need to free up Space on your Drive.

Transferring Data to an External Drive is a Good Idea in the Intrim, but maybe you should also think about burning your Pictures onto DVDs. They will always be available just by inserting a Disk and wont take up HDD Room?

:thumbsup:

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

ironcowboy,

delete the old crap and get rid of old files, no longer used apps etc

tork

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Forty ways to free up disk space
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750370.aspx

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

You need to have 15% free space on the hdd for swap space.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

Has this problem been happening recently?
Also http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25 is a great tool that can be used to free up some space.

Your hard drive may be set to the wrong mode.

1. Right click My Computer select properties
2. Select the Hardware tab and click device manager
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group
4. Double click Primary IDE Channel
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab
6. What is the current Transfer mode for Device 0?
7. It should look like Ultra DMA mode [number]

If the mode is set to PIO Only select the driver tab and click Uninstall
This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon reboot the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

The 15% figure has been around for a long time, so it may not be appropriate for your system. It has to do with operations that Windows performs in the background. If you routinely perform operations that use this background stuff on large files, then you may need even more than 15% free space.

For example, if you have 5 gB free space - then you probably won't be able to do anything with files that are larger than 5 gB. In extreme cases you won't even be able to delete them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ironcowboy

ironcowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Checked the mode, but its good, thanks for the tip though.

I think its just real full, i'll try buying another harddrive with a few hundred gb and see if it helps..

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Checked the mode, but its good, thanks for the tip though.

I think its just real full, i'll try buying another harddrive with a few hundred gb and see if it helps..

No problem. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#12 fagong

fagong

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:28 PM

You can just try Burning other files to a DVD

Saves a lot of money

#13 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

ironcowboy,

75GB is a small harddrive by today's standards so a new larger HD sounds like a good idea
Good luck!

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users