Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office Word Has Stopped Working-upon Exiting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nancyw39

nancyw39

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

Good Morning,
This problem just started out of the blue. I don't remember doing anything new, but then I can't swear to it.
Operating System: Vista Home Premium
Office Home and Student 2007

I can work in Office, but when I exit I get the follow message.
"Microsoft Office Word has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is found."
I repaired Office, then made sure I had the latest updates, but still had the same problem.
I searched on the error message and found this post

1. Open up Regedit. (Go to Start and type "regedit" in the search field and press enter.)

2. In Regedit navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data

3. Right mouse click on the "Data" folder and delete it.

4. Open up Word, close it, and voila, problem solved.

I followed the steps above, but it didn't solve my problem. On another site I read that having the default printer set to the Microsoft XPS Printer caused this problem. Strange? But I thought what the heck give it a try. I found out the only time I have this problem when my default printer is set to either of my HP printer. I have the latest drivers and suggustions?
Thanks
Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

On the driver's page for your printer at HP's support site, check for any patches that might be available
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

I have the same problem--same error messages-- as nancyw39, but mine began right away, after purchasing a new laptop (Compaq Presario C700, Operating System: Vista Home Premium Office Home and Student 2007). Nancy states: "I repaired Office." Would someone please explain how I do this (or where I find out how to do this)? Thanks.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

This should explain it
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP052372001033.aspx
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 nancyw39

nancyw39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

I know this is hard to believe, I saw it and didn't believed it. But my problem was printer related. Go figure! As I was searching for a solution, I came across a thread that stated having your default printer set to Microsoft XPS document printer could cause this problem. Well I had tried everything else so I checked to see what printer was set as default. It wasn't the XPS, it was my HP OfficeJet 3100 series. I changed it just for kicks and it solved the problem. Upon further investigation the problem only occurred when I had either of my HP Printer selected as my default. Crazy? I checked and my print drivers were current. I was current on my operating system updates, but when I check there were some office security updates. I installed them and the problem stopped even with my HP printer set default. I can't explain it, but maybe this will help anyone with the same problem.
Nancy

Edited by nancyw39, 05 October 2008 - 10:34 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for the feedback.
Glad you got it working
Mark
Posted Image

#7 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

I wanted to give you an update. I did Nancy's printer change and that worked for a while. Then I looked for patches for my hp printer and hp said i was up to date. I'm hoping that when I install Office Ultimate 2007 (thru the great offer posted on beeping computer), the problem will go away. My version of MS Office 2007 is a trial version.

Thanks for all your help, garmanma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users