Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 whatitis

whatitis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

Thanks to all who take the time to answer questions in these discussion groups!

I am running XP Pro (SP2) on a Dell 4500. Several days ago I lost all sound functions. It was not long after I had attempted to clean some superfluous programs from the Program files so it is likely that I accidentally deleted something I need. When I chose Sounds and Audio in the control panel it says No Audio Device. Under the Audio tab in the same window for playback it says Modem #2 Line Playback as the device. (I have no idea what this is, I disabled it and still got online) When I access the Device Manager I cannot find the ADI 1885. All the devices listed under the Audio Devices appear to be working properly. Also listed in the Device Manager under Other Devices is a Multi Media Audio Control. It has yellow ? and ! next to it. (I am not familiar with this device either) I could not update, or at least one could not be found. Dell's invoice says that I have Integrated ADI 1885 Audio, Tied. Neither was present in the Belarc Advisor profile.

Of the driver choices on Dell's site, Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio seemed the most logical. I followed the instructions, downloading and saving in a folder, run, then restart. It installed some Sound Max Software but did nothing to fix the problem. When I try to access a file with Music Match JB I get a message that says; file not found, the specified format is not supported and cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine supported formats. MMJB then promptly becomes unresponsive and must be closed with the Task Manager. When I tried a system sound I got the message; Windows cannot play Your sound card may be in use.

When I try to access a file with Music Match JB I get a message that says; file not found, the specified format is not supported and cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine supported formats. MMJB then promptly becomes unresponsive and must be closed with the Task Manager. When I tried a system sound I got the message; Windows cannot play Your sound card may be in use. No luck with Media Player either.

I don't know what else to do. Your suggestions and answers are greatly appreciated!!

"Knowledge is one of the few things that can be given to others without reducing the amount you have left".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:01 AM

A couple of comments come to mind:

I had attempted to clean some superfluous programs from the Program files

I hope you mean you use the Add or Remove programs tool from the Control Panel? Your not just deleting things from the Program Files folder, right?

Would you have a list of what was deleted? Have you checked in the Recycle bin? - if they are in there you can restore them.

If they are not in the Recycle bin then you can do a system restore, choose a restore point just before you deleted the files and Windows should return your missing sound drivers.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 whatitis

whatitis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:31 AM

Yes I did use the add/remove tool from the control panel. I also did a system restore to the point just before my spring cleaning. When I did sure enough a device I had deleted is now show under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. I can't recall the exact name but it was Something Duplex Audio Controller. Although the hardware seems to be back where it should, the system still does not seem to see it as an audio device. When I downloaded the recommended driver from Dell (mentioned in original ?) the unknown device called Multimedia Audio Control, under Other Devices, moved to the Sound Devices in the device manager. The ? disappeared but the ! remained. When I attempted to install the software it became apparent that that it was for Windows 2000. Windows also recommended not installing it because it had not passed the XP testing. I have removed that software and all that game with it from Dell and the Multimedia Audio Control returned to Other Devices and the yellow ! and ? has returned. It still says No Audio Device when accessed from Sounds, Audio Devices in the control panel. In that same screen under Audio, the Sound Playback and Sound Recording are now blank. I tried to update the driver for the re-appeared Duplex Audio Control and it said that there was not one better than what I had, which it says was working properly. I also tried to Roll Back and it said there were no drivers to roll back to. I searched Microsoft and Intel for drivers and had no luck. I put the Dell factory CD with drivers and utilities in the CD-Rom and searched it also, no luck.

Thank you for your time, I fell I have at least made some progress since the Duplex Audio Control is now showing in Device Manager.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

If your motherboard has a Integrated ADI 1885 Audio chip on it there is no point in installing a driver for ADI 198x Integrated Audio because that is a different chip. The driver for your audio must be hiding on the Dell site somewhere. See if you can find the specs of your system and check it really does have ADI 1885 audio. Also check your onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS

I would suggest you search again for drivers for 1885 Audio and if you find them copy them to a folder on your desktop. You may have to extract the files from an 'exe' into that folder by double-clicking it if it is self-extracting or by using WinZip to unpack it.
Make a restore point, then in device manager delete everything under 'Sound Devices' and 'Unknown Devices' and reboot your system. When windows finds new devices on reboot point it to the desktop folder you made.

That way you should end up with a clean install of the audio drivers.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 April 2005 - 06:32 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

Here are the specs for a Dell Dimension 4500:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ecs.htm#1101572

This says the audio chip is an ADI 1981A, but there are references elsewhere to Dimension 4500's with ADI 1885 chips. Maybe the earliest 4500's came out with those chips? :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 April 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#6 whatitis

whatitis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

The Dell site has conflicting information. It gives you several ways to indentify your sound device. The invoice, the back of the computer, and the decice manager. The invoice list the ADI 1885, judging by the back of the computer and the illustrations on Dell's site it is ADI 198x, and in the device manager it says Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device. When Dell searched the computer it found the same Unimodem HDAD as the current sound device. As for original specs, it only says Audio.
I uninstalled the Media Control Device under Other Devices in the device manage and when I reboot it reinstalls but can not find the software. I am reluctant to uninstall the Unimodem becasue I "think" that is what started this mess.
I will research Unimodem HDAD further and look for drivers to save on desktop and procedd with your suggestions.
Thanks a million! I'll let you know how that turns out.

#7 whatitis

whatitis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

And then there was sound! I uninstalled eveything I could. When reboot it returned to the same settings. The Unimodem HDAD seemed to be working properly. I downloaded the ADI 198x Integrated Audio driver suggested by Dell. Then I copy the contents to a folder on the desktop as you suggested. On installation I directed it to look in the folder I created on the desktop. I kept clicking on different things until finally I selected SE within the folder and the "OK" tab became available. I hit OK and it said the software was not Windows tested, or did not pass. I clicked install anyway. I checked device manager and under Sound, VideoGameCont I now had SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio. Then I went to Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - this time on the Audio tab I had a drop down on the Playback that allowed me to select SoundMax Digital Audio.
Everything is working fine. Your time, effort and expertise are greatly appreciated!

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:30 PM

That's good news! :thumbsup: Thanks for letting us know! :flowers:

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:42 AM

Dear What,

May I recommend Islo's System Mechanic 5.0 to configure your files.

Your choice,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#10 Kennyji

Kennyji

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

Hey
I have exactly the same problem. Ive read what you did and I am wondering where on the dell site did you download that driver? I went to downloads Audio Driver on the XP and it says there are no downloads to download that

If anyone can help me it will be much appreciated

Thanks

Ken

#11 olddave

olddave

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:36 AM

Really strange I have a sonic fury card (UK) Turtle Beach which has done exactly the same thing. This card can test itself says its OK in hardware but software is wrong. So I tried another card Soundblaster 24 bit worked OK then suddenly dissapears from Sounds and Audio Audio is blanked out when I try using Musicmatch to play Radio or MP3 says no wave out device support. In Media player says no device found. Videologic who sold Sonic Fury in UK when eamailed just replies look at FAQ's

Anybody help

Dave

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

Kennyji - If you have a Dell dimension 4500 with ADI 198x Integrated Audio then the driver you need is here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...d=2430&devlib=3

olddave - you should start your own new topic in this forum and people will help you.

#13 help

help

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

Hi to everyone!
I have a problem with my audio devices. I've just installed the evaluation copy of windows longhorn and now my computer is not more able to recognize my audio device (and many other hardwares). I am using AMD Athlon™ 3200+ 2.19 GHz 448 MB of RAM. My audio device is Altec Lansing VS 2120.
I have tried to configure my hardwares and devices from the controll panell but it doesn't work. Any idea? :thumbsup:

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

help - you should start your own new topic in this forum and people will help you.

Edited by Rimmer, 07 May 2005 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users