Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Not Boot Into Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

My wife has a Vista Laptop from Dell purchased just over a year ago. When her laptop boots up, it hangs at the black screen where windows is loading, or on a black screen before. She cannot get into Window's safe mode either. Through a lot of troubleshooting, and running the diagnostic, it seems she has a MBR error, which Dell codes as 200-146, so that determined that the HD is damaged at the spot where the boot sector is located. The repair utility didn't work as its trying to repair on that bad physical part on the hard drive. Her business files are on here, and dell is sending a replacement drive for it since it is under warranty. We were able to use the command prompt from the cd's recovery tool and verify that her data was accessible, we just need a solution as to how to get it off. The only time we could hit safe mode was when, somehow, she managed to get to that options screen, but when safe mode arrives, it brings up the installation screen with no explorer option such as desktop or start menu. Is there a boot cd that can help with this? Or is there a way she can access and active the networking on here so we can move these files to our external storage drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:10 AM

I would suggest pulling the hard drive out and using a USB enclosure to connect it to another system. Then just use Windows explorer to copy the data over.

FWIW - here's the tool that we for this at work: http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html
About $30 US
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Okay. So there's no way to just repair the boot record? What is the purpose of bootrec.exe /fixmbr?

I was hoping to be able to do this without having to spend any money, but if need be, so be it.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Does your computer have a floppy? If so try downloading a windows 98 boot floppy here http://www.allbootdisks.com/ boot up and run fdisk /mbr then rerun fixmbr from windows vista recovery.

#5 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

my desktop has a floppy. the laptop doesn't however. should i burn the 98 boot floopy to a cd then try it?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

my desktop has a floppy. the laptop doesn't however. should i burn the 98 boot floopy to a cd then try it?

Windows 98 Boot CD

#7 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

all right. thank you. i'll give that a try, and update as i find out

#8 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

I gave the boot disk a try. The laptop wouldn't even recognize it to boot up. Did I burn the .iso wrong or should I have opened then burn the contents?

#9 d. l. jemison

d. l. jemison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

it was a no-go on the 98 boot up. looks like i'll just have to get the transfer cage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users