Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doubts About An Oem Version Of Windows Xp.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ecosis

Ecosis

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

I recently purchase an almost new Dell PC without a Hard Drive ( Dell dimension E510 With a Windows XP Media Center Edition System, of course with no system at all in the computer cause it doesnt have a Hard Drive) and decided to buy the hard drive and a new operating system but... the problem here is that i can not find a retail copy of this particular version, all i could find is the OEM version, so.... my cuestions here are these.

as far as i know, the OEM version of this XP System is only good for one use and can not be use again on any other computer. well... it makes sense but... can i re-use that same CD on the same computer in case of a crash? how about creating a Recovery CD with the original CD? or... am i gonna be able to use the system recovery or system restore if there's one instaled with this OEM version? how about creating a slipstream with sp2? can that be done? to make this shorter... i just dont want to buy something that i will end up using just once, you know?

and i also would like to know if... i install Windows XP Home Edition instead of the Media Center. would that work or be a better idea? wich of this two will work better?

I've heard of an Operating system called: OBUNTU. if i use that one will every program work fine in that operating system?

im sorry if i ask too much but i just want to make the right desicion and dont regretted later. =)

if any of you could help me with these, i would really apreciate that and thank you for ever!

thank you all in advance.

=)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

I would purchase a retail version of Windows.

What you are asking is skating real close to an infraction of the rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ecosis

Ecosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

I don't think i understand your reply dc3. im not trying to buy pirated software or anything like it. in fact, these are sold in major retail stores like amazon, staples or circuit city. want an example? here's one>>> http://www.nextag.com/window-xp-media-cent...n/products-html if you check on any of the stores that has the Windows Xp Media Center Edition and you scroll down to where it shows the especifications of the product, you will see that it saids OEM Version and not Full Retail Version. now... is this piracy? are this stores gonna sell pirate software? i sure dont think so.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

Perhaps I misread your statement, it sounded like you were talking about using a disk from another computer to install Windows.

Unless you have a multi user license there is only one computer that may use this product. There are cases where if components are replaced due to failure Microsoft has worked with those clients with the proper certification of authenticity.

Just because this computer had the Media Center doesn't mean that you are required to use that operating system.

If you have the proper twenty five alphanumeric code for this computer you might try calling Dell and explaining that the hdd has died and that you need the disks to reinstall the operating system and the drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

From what I understand...every version of XP Media Center is an OEM version, even versions which can be bought at retailers. So there is no "retail version" of that O/S...but you can buy the 2002 or 2005 versions (I've seen them advertised).

If you want to install XP Home or Pro on that system...be aware that you must purchase either an OEM or retail version (with license) of either. You cannot use an upgrade version, since there is no upgrade path to anything from XP Media Center.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Louis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

can i re-use that same CD on the same computer in case of a crash?

Yes, keep in mind that you will probably have to go to Dell's support site for drivers

I've heard of an Operating system called: OBUNTU. if i use that one will every program work fine in that operating system?

If you mean will a Windows program run on the Ubuntu platform, no. There are many programs written for Ubuntu that are compatible wirh Windows programs
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi

Ubuntu is a Lynux based operating system so you would not be able to run Windows based programs using it.
Re Windows Retail versus OEM
Microsoft offer support for the retail version whereas they do not for the OEM version and would refer you to the PC supplier. Generally if you use the OEM version you will have to sort out any problems you have yourself.
Steve

#8 Ecosis

Ecosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thank you guys, everythin's starting to make sense now. i think i will end up buying the Windows XP Home Edition instead of the MCE, and of course... it will be the full retail version. thank you all again and i hope you all have a great day!!!
=)

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

I would first contact Dell to see if they would supply you with a copy of the Restore CD's for your system. You'll have to provide the make, model, and service tag number - but I've found that Dell is very helpful.

The disks will either be free, or will be at a cost that's a lot less than a copy of XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users