Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Laptop Won't Connect To Internet With Dhcp

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cfalcon

cfalcon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hi,
I bought a laptop recently (Acer 2920 running Vista Home Premium). However I formatted it and reinstalled vista and now it won't connect to the internet by wireless. (ethernet cable works no problem). It connects to the network fine but it says Access: Local Only and won't connect to the internet.

I did ipconfig /all and it shows I have a 169 ip. Now if I go to ipv4 properties and manually setup a static 192 ip, then it work perfectly fine but the problem with this is that this will only work at home...for connecting to wireless at my school I need to get dhcp working.

Also my dad's laptop is running vista and it works fine...well mine did too before I formatted. So this has to be some changed or defaulted setting or something right? I updated my drivers and all that...I disabled the windows firewall (I have no clue if there are others on)...I removed norton...disabled ipv6...

So can someone please help me obtain a dynamic 192 ip via dhcp? I really need to be able to connect at school.

I'll paste the ipconfig stuff:

This is what i get for ipconfig /all

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-00-7B-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.225.57(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

And when I did ipconfig /release and then /renew it gives me this error

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface WiFi : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.

(The second line is not a problem because my ethernet cable isn't connected)

Anyhoo...i hope this is enough info...please please help me. I need internet at school before my midterms really bad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users