Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton/Symantec Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but this is my problem.

Yesterday (April 27th) Norton had the usual Wednesday update. I have live-update enabled and the update was done automatically. Today I ran live-update and it showed another update to Norton Virus Definitions and an update to Symantec Redirector. I ran the updates and installed them.

Live Update message was " Please run Live update again to retrieve additional updates" and that a restart was required. I clicked okay to restart. When my computer restarted I got the following message on a blue background.

"Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files" with an ok on the lower left.
When the rest of Windows loaded, I ran live update and it said that all components were up to date. I restarted my computer and got the same message
" Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files" .
This time when the rest of windows reloaded, live-update was disabled and and a message said
"Virus definitions could not be loaded and your computer is unprotected"
I could not enable live-update.

I ran GoBack on my computer and reverted the drive to early this morning before I ran any of the updates. Then I tried to run live-update again, but I only downloaded and installed the virus definitions. That went fine, but when I tried to update the Symantec redirector I had exactly the same results. I looked on Symantec's knowledge base, but to be honest, the directions seem beyond my computer abilities.

Should I just run GoBack again and wait and see if the automatic live-updates take care of themselves or can anyone help me in baby step fashion?

I really feel like I'm out of my league, and the panic is setting in fast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mary

Mod edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed

Edited by jgweed, 28 April 2005 - 06:39 PM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

Norton's always sucks..! try AVG Free..

#3 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

Please, can anyone help me with this problem? :thumbsup:
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

What version of Norton are you using?
Could you give a link to Symantec's knowledge base where "the directions seem beyond my computer abilities"?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

You must check what version of NAV you are running. If it is 2003 or later, this looks like the instructions to follow:

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...c=hot#_Section2

Part 1 is check the computer's date is correct, if not change it. If you're really lucky that will fix the problem.

Part 2 is uninstall, hack the registry, re-install all Norton stuff.
If that matches your problem print out the proceedure and check you understand what you have to do. If you are uncertain post here before you do anything - there are people here who are ready and willing to help you, sometimes it just takes a while to get responses :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

TG1911- The link that I found beyond my skills is http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunse...src=bar_sch_nam

Rimmer-
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2003 that I downloaded from Symantec after January 22, 2003. The link that you gave me for Symantec's instructions seem a lot easier than the knowledge base article that I had been on. I checked the date on the taskbar and it's correct. I understand the uninstall, but I have two major questions. You mentioned hacking the registry, what would that involve? I've renewed the subscription online since the original download. If I reinstall it how do I go about reinstalling the subscription renewal? Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.

Thanks,

Mary

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:25 PM

What part of that link are you having trouble with?
Copy & past,e the part you don't understand, into your post.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:56 PM

TG1911-

Sorry to seem so stupid. But I don't know if I'm protected or not.

When I restart my computer I still get a screen that says" Unable to to initialize virus scanning engine files" yet when Windows finishes loading the Norton AV icon in the taskbar indicates that it is enabled and when I manually run live-update it says all the components are up to date.

I'm scared to death of messing with the registry. I tried to follow these instructions, but when I double clicked in the right pane I got the "Are you sure you want to add this to the registry?" and it scared the hell out of me because I have no idea if I do, so I didn't go any further.

See below:

To import the Apld_run.reg, Apmsgoff.reg, and Logo_off.reg files into the registry:

3. Navigate to the folder where NAV is installed, for example C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus or C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus.
4. In the right pane, double-click each of the following files:
* Apld_run.reg
* Apmsgoff.reg
* Logo_off.reg
5. Click OK to acknowledge that each file was successfully entered into the registry.
6. Restart the computer.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:07 AM

Mary,
It is important that you follow the symantec proceedure through in total, in the order in which it is given. If you decided to go ahead with it, you go ahead with all of it.

The only registry 'hack' in the fix I saw was to delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\SharedDefs key. It's in the instructions.

When you renewed your subscription you should have got some confirmation email with a product key or some sort of registration key. When you reinstall Norton's enter that key and your subscription should continue.

Are you saying you tried the fix I found, did all of it and it did not fix your problem?

(The fix you found looks pretty old, it only talks about products as late as 2001.)

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:40 PM

Rimmer-

I went to the link and followed it step by step. I uninstalled Norton Internet Security then reinstalled it. Part of the process involved running live-update with several restarts during the update. After the last restart I got the same message
“Unable to initialize virus scanning engine files” I clicked on the okay and when windows finished loading I got another message that said that I was unprotected and the icon for NAV had a slash through it. I went to Programs>Live update and ran it. It said that all the components were up to date and the NAV icon in the taskbar was enabled. When I restarted the computer I got the same “Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine files” again, and I’m right back where I started.

I don’t know what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Mary

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:43 AM

Mary - The problem is beyond me. I've never encountered that eror before and if you followed symantec's own repair to the letter then I don't know what to suggest. :thumbsup:

Anyone?

#12 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

The problem seems to be connected to the April 28th update of Symantec's Redirector. I'm hoping that Norton/Symantec will fix the update themselves. (Contacting them is very expensive)

I don't know what else to do. I still get the same message"Unable to initialize virus scanning engine files" whenever my computer loads Windows.

Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

Edited by gaelic123, 01 May 2005 - 08:39 AM.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:28 AM

Can you do a normal virus scan with Norton the way it is now?

Symantec Redirecter is described here. It creates a temporary directory on your hard drive as an area to scan incoming and outgoing traffic. This sounds to me like overkill.

If you can do a normal virus scan then that part of Norton is functioning. The Red Circle probably indicates a problem with Redirecter in that case. Can you go to Add/Remove programs or through the Programs menu and uninstall just Rediecter. If so, do that and reboot to see if you are still getting the error.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Yes, I ran a full scan after I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Internet Security. The reason I think it's a problem with the redirector is because the error occured twice when live-update got to an update for the redirector.

When I start my computer I get that message "Unable to initialize virus scanning engine files" with an ok at the left bottom of the screen. When I hit enter, Windows continues to load. I run live-update and it says that all the components are up to date and there isn't a red circle on the redirector. Sometimes I get a second message that says that my computer isn't protected, and the NAV icon on my task bar has a red cross through it and is disabled. When I try to enable it from the icon I can't. In that case I've run live-update from Start>Programs>Norton Anti-virus. When that runs it says all components are up to date and then the NAV icon shows as enabled. When I reboot my computer, it will with the same message, and I go through it all over again.

I can't seem to find a way to remove only the redirector.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

Mary

#15 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

Norton/Symantec had a live-update on May 2nd that fixed my problem. I felt all along that the April 28th update was the cause of my problems and yesterdays update fixed them.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks for all the advice anyway,

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users