Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instaling Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

I've had Windows XP Pro installed on my computer for awhile, but the activation code I was given did not work, so the time ran out. Since I got it for free I was not really angry that it could not activate. The problem is, now when I try to use Windows XP Home upgrade that I bought today, it doesn't boot on startup. I think it needs to be started from Windows explorer, but I can't get onto that, since Windows won't let me log in. I've already tried a couple ways to boot from BIOS, but I couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated on how I could fix this.

Edit : Nevermind, Problem solved I think. Apparently the Disk drive shook itself loose. sometimes the answers easier then you think.

Edited by Nerdbomer, 29 September 2008 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

You cannot downgrade from Pro to home. You will have to do a clean install.

#3 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

You cannot downgrade from Pro to home. You will have to do a clean install.

If clean install means like uninstalling the other one then installing that, then that's what I was trying to do. The booklet that comes with it says you can do that, but I have to be able to run the disk in the first place.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer?

It's custom built.
It has a Asus P5K-PL-VM motherboard
Intel Q6600 Processor
ATI Radeon 3870 video card
4GB of super talent ram (can't remember specs)
Standard DVD/CD drive 16x I think
360GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive.
that's all I can think of right now.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

If you are saying that the computer will not boot from the installation CD then you need to go into the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

If you are saying that the computer will not boot from the installation CD then you need to go into the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Would the "ATAPI CD-ROM" or the "HDD:3M-ST3320620AS" be the CD-ROM drive. I might have tried with both already but I'm not sure.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

If you have an upgrade version of XP Home...it seems to me that you need a version of Windows qualified to use that version.

From what you have posted thus far...that is lacking.

Louis

#9 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

If you have an upgrade version of XP Home...it seems to me that you need a version of Windows qualified to use that version.

From what you have posted thus far...that is lacking.

Louis

It says something along the lines of "If your current operating system can not be upgraded to this one you can use (whatever the method is where it pretty much reformats and installs)".

#10 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

first thing is to go into your BIOS, change your boot order to "ATAPI CD-ROM" the one with HDD is your hard drive.

Put the cd in, reboot the computer

Once it readches press any key to boot from cd than do jus tthat, go through the install, it will ask you to format, just do a (quick) format, allow it to install.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

You are missing my point...perhaps intentionally. You don't have a valid path for "upgrading" to XP Home.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Oh, well...

Louis

#12 Nerdbomer

Nerdbomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

You are missing my point...perhaps intentionally. You don't have a valid path for "upgrading" to XP Home.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Oh, well...

Louis

I know it's not a supported upgrade, but the booklet that comes with it says you can do either a "Quick Upgrade" which just installs Windows XP and keeps your programs and everything, or a "New Installation" which says it can be used if "Your current operating system doesn't support an upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition" which in this case, it doesn't. According to the manual it gave me it should still be possible.

Also, apparently I figured out that my computer doesn't appear to be able to boot from Disk at all. I just tried with a copy of Linux too, and that won't boot at startup either.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

When you try to install the Windows XP Upgrade it will search for a qualifying product. In this case, the "Upgrade" on the CD refers to it being limited to installing on systems that meet the upgrade requirements (see the link below).

If you attempt the upgrade from inside of Windows, it'll tell you that it can't run because XP Pro isn't a supported upgrade OS.
If you attempt the installation for outside of Windows (booting from the CD), then it's going to ask you for "qualifying media" to prove that you own the OS that you're upgrading from (in this case a Windows 98 or ME CD)

From this link: http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_upgrade_paths.htm

Edited by usasma, 30 September 2008 - 07:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users