Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antec 900 Or 1200

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

I plan on upgrading my computer after getting my 22"

Heres the specs now:

NZXT Nemesis Chassis
Windows XP Pro SP2
Corsair VX450W
MSI P43 NEO3-f
Intel E8400 Core2Duo OC'd 3.78GHz
2 GB DDR2 800
ATI Radeon HD 3650
500 GB MAXTOR SATA HDD

Heres the upgrades:

XP Pro x64 or Vista Ultimate x64
Corsair VX450W to a Corsair VX750W
4 or 8 GB of DDR2 800 (depending on OS)
Nvidia XFX GTX 260

So my question is, do you think the 900 would be good enough and supply good air flow, or should i get the large 1200?

Also any suggestions on the OS is welcome

Thanks guys.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

Do not get XP 64-bit, it has nowhere near as good software and hardware support as Vista 64-bit. I'm a big fan of 64-bit, Vista ironed out many issues with 64-bit that XP had. I say go for the full-tower 1200, you will have more room. That is important now since graphics cards grow in size with almost every release. Also, since both OS's are 64-bit, I would get as much RAM as I could.

3939.png

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

those were my concerns, i knew about xp 64bit being problematic, but i wasnt so sure about vista, as of the memory i understand that ultimate 64 bit can see 128, so i cant quite get that but it would be nice :thumbsup:

Yeh after looking into more pictures of each case the 1200 seems to have a even larger fan on the top and the space left between the board and power supply is very nice, that is the case I will be going with.

Thanks for your opinion djbpace07
Posted Image

#4 Frank Vasquez

Frank Vasquez

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

I was considering the 1200 - nice case, but I opted for the Lian-Li PC-X500 - expensive though - $350 at www.lagoom.com, but what a SWEET case - great airflow.

Also, if you have not bought the GPU, I switched from Nvidia to an ASUS Radeon HD 4870 - it beats the 260GTX, and the ASUS does not use the Reference fan - not nearly as loud as what other 4870's produce. ASUS comes with SmartDoctor which allows you to Overclock card and adjust fan speed. Even if I run it at 100% fan, the ASUS is not that loud, but the Lian-Li case is sound-proofed, so it may be a tad louder in the 1200, but at 40% you should be fine. and cool.

Oh yeah, the ASUS is about $230 after rebate at zipzoomfly.com - check it out:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=10008893

Here is the case I got:

http://www.lagoom.com/Lian-Li_Case_Mid_Tow...-id-583976.html

and here is the Lian-Li site description - no case I have seen is made as well as a Lian-Li, but you will pay for it:

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/flashpage/x500/wed/x500en.html

Hope that helps

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

The 4870, according to benchmarks is not quite as powerful as the 260GTX. In some games, they have the same framerates, but the ATI card does have to reduce some of the graphics quality to keep up. The 4870X2 is indeed more powerful than the 260GTX by a wide margin, but it is also far more expensive. Here is a link with some info: [H] Enthusiast.

3939.png

#6 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

damn that lian li case is ridiculous, however just too expensive for a case if you ask me, the 1200 is probably what I am going with, ill be ordering my psu and gtx260 on the 24th, im pretty excited actually. I wouldnt mind that Lian-li case but at 300 bucks, I think I am going to have to pass, I may end up making some alterations to the 1200 to make it more spacious.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

thats what I have now, if I can fit a 260 in there than I may just stick with that for a while, and get psu and the 260, than upgrade ram and OS, and do the case last, not sure though lol

Do you think it would even fit in that...I doubt it
Posted Image

#7 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Sorry to get off the Topic of the Antecs, but I would advise looking at the Coolermaster HAF932, it stands for High Air Flow, and if im not mistaken it lies right in between the price range of the nine hundred and the twelve hundred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users