Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Help- Desktop Doctor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KateJ123

KateJ123

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

I'm not a complete newb, but I'm often scared to delete anything from my computer because with Windows I never know what applications are completely necessary (and everyone has a different opinion).

When I set up my comcast modem, I had to install what i was told was a 'necessary' component called 'desktop doctor'. I did a basic google search and it seems like a fairly okay program but it doesn't seem like something i absolutely need to have in order for my modem to work. do i really need it? Is this something that, if deleted, would really mess up my modem or comcast's ability to repair the modem remotely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

Desktop Doctor is Comcast's software which is used to trouble shooting in the event that you have a connectivity problem with the internet or e-mail. It's not vital.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KateJ123

KateJ123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

Desktop Doctor is Comcast's software which is used to trouble shooting in the event that you have a connectivity problem with the internet or e-mail. It's not vital.

Good to know...thanks!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

As dc3 stated, Desktop Doctor is NOT vital. You can safely uninstall it.
I do want to know if, when setting up your Comcast internet service, did the Comcast toolbar get installed on your computer? If it did, UNINSTALL it. It's flaky, and has been known to cause issues which disappear once the toolbar is uninstalled.
For future reference, you do NOT have to install anything from a disk when setting up your Comcast modem. All you have to do is make all your connections, and call Comcast to have them provision the modem.

I also want to direct you to the Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users