Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download Any Adobe Or Media Player On Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robahr24

Robahr24

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

I just had ubuntu dual booted onto my hp dv6700t laptop with vista. Everything it fine but anytime I try downloading adobe media player, it says I have to do something with dpkg and I have know idea what its asking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Neither do we. I wonder if it might help if you shared the actual message?

#3 eckoman

eckoman

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

I am guessing you are trying to install Abode Meida Player so you can play streamed and downloaded FLV and MPEG-4 video content when offline?

VLC Media Player will play anything Adobe Media Player will, and then some. Plus it's free, and it's made for Linux.

Here is a list of all the features of VLC Media Player, and what types of content it plays.

VLC Features

It's made for:

* Debian GNU/Linux
* Ubuntu
* Mandriva Linux
* Fedora
* openSUSE
* Familiar Linux

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Slackware Linux
* ALT Linux
* Arch Linux
* YOPY/Linupy
* Zaurus

* NetBSD
* OpenBSD
* FreeBSD
* Solaris

* QNX
* Gentoo Linux
* Crux Linux

VLC Download

Whether you stay will Ubuntu or eventually switch to a different flavor, VLC should work.

For online content in firefox, just install adobe flash player.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

The dpkg message refers to the Debian package management system. There must be a few terminal commands to input to set the package working. These commands should be available on the download site.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 h3llh0l3

h3llh0l3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:59 AM

I just had ubuntu dual booted onto my hp dv6700t laptop with vista. Everything it fine but anytime I try downloading adobe media player, it says I have to do something with dpkg and I have know idea what its asking.

If you are trying to download the player from the site and run it then yes the dpkg may throw some errors if some dependencies are not met. In Ubuntu the best wat to install a software is thru apt-get, aptitude(both are commands run thru console).
So open a console window and type the following and hit enter. This would automatically figure out if any dependencies are not met and it would download the packages if required:
sudo aptitude install vlc
And you should be good to go.

#6 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

If you are talking about Adobe Flash you can open up the Synaptic Package and search for "Adobe". Then install it from there, thats the easiest way if you are uncomfortable using the command line. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users