Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Rundll32.exe In Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jabbb

jabbb

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi guys.
I just noticed that there's two rundll32.exe running in my task manager.
I've tried to find the solution from internet, but so far I haven't got a clear answer.
I've checked that both of them locate in system32 folder. The other one is occupying about 500k of memory and the other one 1 500k.
There's also two taskeng.exe...and no I'm not mixing them up with taskmgr.exe as I saw some people mixing them up with each other.
Then theres also csrss.exe and if click on it, it asks me to perform administrative tasks and then it will show me a lot more image names in task manager, there's 13 svchost.exe, I checked their locations also and they all located in system32.

I've run ad-aware 2008, spybot search & destroy, superspybot and also avg free virus program, but so far they've found only cookie trackers.
Please someone who got time and knowledge or previous experience of this problem, help me.

I'm running windows vista premiumi n my msi laptop. Intel core 2duo cpu T7100 @ 1.80GHz, 2,00gb ram, nvidia geforce8600m gt.

Thanks in advance.

Jabbb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

It all depends on what is running on the machine at the time, but what you observe is not abnormal.
The rundll32.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, rundll32.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.

csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Are you experiencing any problems with your computer?

In your post you said you used Superspybot. Did you mean Super Antispyware?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jabbb

jabbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Actually no, I'm not having any problems that would seem to be caused by any virus, trojan or spyware, except in games my fps drops every now and again and then picks up the normal frame rate after ~30seconds, but I think thats because over heating(?) or due the fact that my ram gets full because of these programs running in the backround (e.g. two rundll32.exe's and taskeng.exe's). But like I've read that there's plenty of spyware that don't cause anything, but they still remain in your computer and the second reason why I'm woring is because before I only had one rundll32.exe and one taskeng.exe.

Yes, sorry I meant super antispyware. They all have so similar names.

Do you think it's normal to have so many svchost.exe's open at the same time?

Thanks for you help so far.

Jabbb.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

Quote: "Do you think it's normal to have so many svchost.exe's open at the same time?" It may be for your computer.

No need to have programs in startup other than your antivirus and firewall. It is best to stop programs from loading at startup by using the settings in each program or you could use a program such as WinPatrol to help you. WinPatrol is free and will monitor your computer for changes if you allow to run.

If you have an overheating problem, I would suggest you open up your computer and clean it.

Here is a guide to help clean.
http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

WinPatrol
http://www.winpatrol.com/

The fastest way to cleanup temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. is using a program such as Ccleaner. During install you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar. UNcheck if NOT wanted.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

EDIT--fix link

Edited by buddy215, 28 September 2008 - 04:33 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users