Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrade to XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

I have a question concerning an aspire 6920. I attempted to change os's from vista back to xp pro. I wiped the hard drive (250g) with advanced killdisk. 3 pass. Finished without incident. I then restarted the system with xp pro corp sp3 and it said it couldnt find the hard drive. I closed setup and ran acronis disk director only to find that it too couldn't "see" the hd. I removed the cd rom rebooted and went into cmos and returned it to defaults. Restart with os install disk again, no hd again.
Am I missing something?

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

Was the CD drive the first boot device in the BIOS?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DHCP

DHCP

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hi i think your problem lies with yor hard drive controler

1. go in to your bios genraly F1, F2, DEL

2. depending on the bios make locate to something called "Advanced BIOS Configuration"

3. look for a key that says "Hard Drive/IDE Configuration" < will prob be diffrent but along those lines

4. Change the setting to "Compatability or AUTO" as it is proably set to "AHCI" which is why xp is not seeing your drive

Hope this helps

Dave
The One And Only!!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Is the hard drive reflected properly in the BIOS?

The default setting for some BIOSes...is not the hard drive, but possibly the floppy or some other boot source...so, as Mark suggested, I would check that.

Louis

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

As far as I know, this is a common problem. XP doesn't have Serial ATA drivers for seeing your hard drive(s). Maybe they fixed this in SP3, but it's certainly an issue for older versions of XP. And some BIOS's actually have to be downgraded to support XP because their manufacterers are pushing for Vista too. It really sucks.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

I think the easiest fix for this would be a BIOS setting. But the settings for the BIOS are not standardized and are (to me, at least) very confusing.

When attempting to install XP, you'll see a prompt at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers. This is where you install the SATA drivers. Unfortunately, XP can only see these drivers 2 ways:
1 ) a floppy drive
2 ) slipstreaming the drivers into the XP installation CD

I prefer the floppy drive method (because most SATA drivers come with a utility to put them on a floppy) - and I use a USB floppy drive to install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users