Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't shut down under program control

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 awaitingjourneysend

awaitingjourneysend

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

It seems that ever since I installed XP SP2, The system will no longer turn off. When I try to do so using the START/TURN OFF COMPUTER/TURN OFF sequence, all that happens is that the system REBOOTS and remains on.

In order to shut the system down, I have to hold the POWER button several seconds OR hit the main power switch to my powerstrip. I try to time it so that the screen is black AND the harddrive light is not lit (so that I can be sure that Windows has shut down completely clean AND my drive is not being accessed at the precise moment that the power goes off so I don't crash the drive heads). It is a challenge.

I tried going up to microsoft to query the Knowledgebase, etc. but couldn't find anything searching for "can't shutdown". Even searched the web via msn search. I couldn't understand the results. I'm not a tech type. So, I'll have to see what turns up here.

Here's hopin'!
Started as a CTX P2, but changed over time; AMD DURON XP 1600 MHz, 1GB mem, Syntax SV266A(D) mobo, WD 250 GB IDE, ATI Radeon 8500 A-I-W & Radeon 9250 (1 crt & 1 lcd), WinXP-SP2, Opera9, IE7 & compuserve4.0.2, Spysweeper and AdAware SE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Any problem caused by SP2 should be entitled to free support from Microsoft:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users