Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Uninstall Bitdefender

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

Well, I can't uninstall bitdefender.

I decided (last week) that I would give it a go. And lets face it, the free version sucked big time. So, I wanted to get rid of it and I have encountered some problems.

After trying to uninstall my computer froze. I rebooted using the power button (since I had no other choice)
The program will no longer launch.
I've tried removing it from add or remove programs, to no avail.
I've tried doing a repair install, that didn't work either.
When trying to uninstall/repair I get these errors
"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this installation to be complete could not be run. Contact your support or package vendor."
I tried downloading the installer to reinstall/repair/uninstall and I get the same error.
I also tried downloading the BitDefender uninstall tool- WHICH DIDN'T EVEN RUN!!!!

I really want to get rid of it! I have Avast reinstalled and on my computer but BitDefender is too much of a resource hog to have on start up.

By the way, I am running Windows ME (if that helps)

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 28 September 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

??is Bit Defender that heavy on computer resources? I was thinking of using it when AVG stops updating ;however on your 'recommendation' I may well reconsider :thumbsup:

of interest have you seen these ideas to try to free yourself of this program ?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...tart=0&sa=N
OR try a System Restore?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264887

#3 rdPhreak

rdPhreak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

I had this problem under XP and it was a long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure if this will work but hey it's worth a shot.

1. Bring up your network connections from the control panel.
2. Right click on your Local Area Net Connection card go to properties.
3. Under the General Tab there should be a list that says this connection uses the following items. Find the Bit Defender one and uninstall/delete it.

After that it should be gone from the add/remove programs list. If it isn't try running the uninstaller again or just deleting the bit defender program folder all together using ccleaner or in safe mode.

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thanks ruby & rdPhreak

I have tried the instructions on BitDefender's website and the uninstall tool will not run on my system.
Add or remove programs isn't an option since I get weird errors.

I am trying Add or Remove programs as we speak and the uninstaller just stops on the final bar...

IT DIDNT WORK EITHER!
I'm going to try going into safe mode and removing it.
Wish me luck.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

HALLELUJAH!

I managed to get rid of the pest.
Thanks to HJT and a little common sense.

Note: Yes, I knew perfectly well what I was doing with HJT and I was very careful.

By the way, thank you rdPhreak for your suggestion on deleting the program folder.
That worked in conjunction with HJT :thumbsup:

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yes, I knew perfectly well what I was doing with HJT and I was very careful.

now that you have done some deletions with HJT what else :flowers: has failed to work :thumbsup:

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hehe, actually, things are running rather nicely :flowers:
A little too nice... If you know what I mean :thumbsup:

#8 snvyas

snvyas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hello to all I am satya narayan vyas in short snvyas facing a trouble in completely removing bitdefender from my system. When I install it will disappear. Today use remove tool but tool left "Executing additional tools" hear I know about HJT then search on net & download open but no experience how to use use. 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer snvyas

You have replied to a topic that is 6 years old.

HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL, Zoek and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

If you are dealing with a malware infection, please advise and I will direct you to the appropriate forum for assistance. If not and your only issue is removing Bitdefender then the following information may be of help.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable is an alternative to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, it does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders. Just follow these instructions...How to use Revo Uninstaller.

Another alternative is Opswat AppRemover - supported applications list. This is a free utility that enables you to remove antivirus and security programs to include orphaned files left behind from incomplete uninstallations....How do I use AppRemover and other FAQs?

In many cases anti-virus vendors also provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling or for a failed uninstall so always check there first. It's best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not uncommon for third party hosting sites to have outdated versions which may not work properly. See Replacing your Anti-virus - List of Antivirus Uninstallers and Removal Tools..

These are the links for the most current removal instructions.
How to uninstall Bitdefender
Bitdefender uninstall tool direct download
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users