Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tonyj

tonyj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

can anyone help please.dell dimension e520 with xp media center edition 2005.its about 18 months old.when its turned on starts to boot then we get error message
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
please re-install a copy of the above file.
tried booting in safe mode just getting error message again.
it didnt come with a windows disc so ive tried to windows 95,windows 98 and xp discs to see if i can get it to pick up the missing file it starts to load until it comes to setup is loading windows then bsod a problem has been detected ...... run chkdsk /f (which i cant because i can only get this far ) and error message saying
stop: 0x0000007B(0xF7A8E63C, 0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000
fitted new hard drive and tried loading xp but just get the same message as above tried internet to sort it out but not getting anywhere just more confused tried different mouse and keyboard in different ports no change
cant get into system to run restore
taken battery out to see if it will reset system
any ideas will be appreciated but please be patient as no ones computer savvy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

You will need to find a XP Media Center CD and perform a repair install.

#3 tonyj

tonyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:11 AM

ok cryptodan i will try and track down a disc and give it a go thanks for replying.i will let you know if it works

#4 tonyj

tonyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

sorry for the delay,managed to get a copy of xp media center. did not work.phoned dell and they ran me through the procedure to get it working properly(hold down ctrl+f11when its booting and it brings you to another screen) thanks cryptodan it was worth a try.

#5 weilong

weilong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hey tonyj - I am having the exact same problem as you (I believe) and was curious as to how you got this worked out. I have a Dell Dimension E520, and am basically trying to wipe it out completely and reload from scratch. When the computer begins to load from the Windows installation CD, it gets to the point where it says "starting windows" or something of that nature (I believe this is the part where it starts copying files to the hard drive), and then I get the BSOD with the 0x0000007B message. I am thinking maybe it has to do with the fact that the HDD is SATA?? Maybe the installation software can't "see" it???? Anyways - I tried holding down CTRL+F11 while booting, but it did nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#6 duwardb

duwardb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

weilong,

I have had the same problem when reformatting my e520. Dell somehow got the bright idea that everyone would have a RAID system that bought this machine and that is what is causing your problem. What you need to do is go into the BIOS, press F2 on startup, and set the RAID to Auto not On. What is happening is the VISTA startup is searching for a RAID volume and is quitting to BSOD when it does not find one. Hopefully this will solve the problem for you, it did for me. Of course as usual with computer problems I spent many hours trying to track down a solution before I found this fix.

#7 weilong

weilong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

duwardb - ill try this out and let you know if i have any success. i really appreciate the tip!!

#8 weilong

weilong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hey everyone - I apologize for posting within this existing thread. It has been explained to me that I should instead have started a new thread, as opposed to posting within this one. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone. However, I did want to post a response to duwardb - your resolution worked flawlessly and I really appreciate the advice!

Hope others will find this useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users