Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnosis Showed Nothing Wrong

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shous

Shous

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:27 AM

hi

have a puzzling problem and tech guys at Circuit City don't know what to do. its a compaq presario desktop 4 CPU 2.66 GHZ 86.0 Free on hard drive with 1 GB RAM. nothing has been replace in the guts of the computer except for RAM. Never even had a problem with it until now. The computer is 5 yrs. old.

all of a sudden it has started turning on and off but not all the time. both fans are working. i took it to circuit city and they ran they diagnostic test on it which took several hours. told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. got home, started doing some work on my computer and it started the same thing again. Circuit City said it never turned on or off for them. I am beginning to think that when I am working or surfing that that is when something happens and it turns on and off. it is not the monitor, and i have replaced the power cords, upon circuit citys suggestion.

any ideas out there or suggestions - i am taking it back to the circuit city techs today but they seem to be clueless also. so thought i would give them some things to check on before i took it back.

thanks for any suggestion you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

Can you try using the computer in another location, eg at a friend's house, to see if it does the same there? That would eliminate something in the environment, eg power connection at your place.

Also, does it go on and off just like someone pressed the soft power button? I had a system that did odd things like that once, there was a blob of hot-melt glue on the back of the on/standby switch that touched the wire terminals. It had become electrically conductive, and the board would sometimes think the button was being pressed. Removing the blob of glue fixed it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

I'm not sure what tests they did on it, But I would make sure all fans are going good, check for excessive dust, Test the power supply and swap power cords and electric sockets, test the case switch and just sort of go from there, quite a few possiblities of why its happening.
Is it giving you a bluescreen before it shuts off? Any certain program you are using when it happens? Does it beep at all when it shuts off or give you anything other than the single short beep when you start up? Error messages?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

If that CMOS battery has never been changed...it's overdue, IMO.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

Do you have any problems with any other items plugged into the same receptacle? The contacts on some old receptacles can become worn and may not make good contact. Plug a lamp into the receptacle and move the plug a little and see if the light flickers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users