Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuiped Dvd Rw Drive "lite-on Dvdrw Shw-160p6s"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

hi i have a "lite-on dvdrw shw-160p6s" dvd copyer

when i first got it all was fine i could burn cds and dvds and veiw them no problem but now i can't burn any dvds sometimes (mostly not depends on the cd or dvd) i can't see whats on a dvd the computer thinks it's blank "space used 0bites"
"free space 0bites"

and this happens to some cds i can burn them but sometimes not veiw them what is wrong with this computer someone help!

thankyou for your time
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

Do the disks play in other units?

Are you using different types of media, for the best performance you should use a good quality media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Edited by dc3, 28 September 2008 - 05:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Some reason I kept reading Striped DVD drive, thinking why or how would you set up an optical RAID...
Anyhow, out of curiousity do you have any drive emulators on there? Like Daemon Tools or Alcohol?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

Some reason I kept reading Striped DVD drive, thinking why or how would you set up an optical RAID...

smurfgod, if you have a RAID array (two or more hdds, not optical drives) you may need to separate the SATA optical drive from the RAID controller, but that's not what is happening here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

i once had alcohole and when i uninstalled it i needed to remove hardware the fake dive (come to think of it that may of been when it began but we did a rollback to when the computer was first turned on but still the same thing happens
and like i said most disks can be played and i can veiw them and same with dvds some times the computer simpaly thinks its blank (it's not) "space used 0bites"
"free space 0bites"
and i can't burn blank dvds (but i can burn cds)
again "space used 0bites"
"free space 0bites"

Edited by i am not known, 28 September 2008 - 09:38 PM.

I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:48 AM

Yea dc, it was more a joke than anything.

I swear there is some connection between this problem and those drive emulators. I had the exact same thing start to happen when I installed Daemon tools. At first it was fine, then the first time I burnt a dvd post-install it started to act up. blanks would read 0 bytes available, "my computer" would read it as a "CD drive" Then it just stopped burning DVDs altogether. Tried all sorts of burning programs Sonic and IMGburn in windows. Brasero and CD/DVD creator in Ubuntu. All returned errors of some sort. IMGburn returned an IRQ error which leads me to believe that Daemon assigned itself an IRQ that conflicted with the real drive, it has to be at the BIOS level for it to affect burning in Ubuntu. Something happens when it tells you to reboot after its installed, but what it is I do not know.

After a dozen or so coaster manufacturing jobs I went out and bought a new burner and haven't loaded windows on this computer since. All is well so far. If anyone can solve this problem I would be extremely interested to know how. My friend at work is having the same thing happen with his Daemon'd computer. I really don't think this is just a huge coincidence, but it might be.

#7 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:03 AM

think it might be a reg entry

also pulling out the drive then putting it back in might work but i dont know how to do that

Edited by i am not known, 29 September 2008 - 06:09 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

Uninstalling it in the Device Manager will have the same effect as physically removing it. If you uninstall it through the Device Manager and reboot the Installation Wizard will recognize it as found new hardware and will find drivers for it.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. If all you see is the icon of a monitor, click on the box with a + inside of it to expand the tree. Go down to DVD/CD-ROM and click on the + to expand this tree and double click on the drive, click on the Driver tab and uninstall the Driver.

#9 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

sadly it didn't work

but is there a chance deleting the right reg keys could fix it i have tryed this but i couldn't find the right things to delete
were would the dvd burner keys be located

also it seems to think its a cd burner when i put in a writable dvd its details are cd drive and its name changes to cd drive (E:)
normaly with no disk details cd player name dvd-rw drive (E:)

also computer management when theres a cd in there it says how big it is it knows whats inside it but when i try to open it
"free space 0"
"space used 0"

Edited by i am not known, 29 September 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:50 PM

The Windows registry http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/sasample/E1209.pdf is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

Your problem isn't in the registry.

#11 leprecon

leprecon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

I'm having the same problem. :thumbsup: I've had my computer for about 3 years and it successfully read/write for about 2 6 month periods. If I remember right, it was when I 1st got it and when I upgraded to XP Pro. I have XP Home now but I want to switch to Ubuntu but I can't burn an ISO. I just bought a new drive since I thought my old drive was the cause. 1 day out of the box, the only SATA drive, and DVD+Rs show as CD-R. DVD-R show as DVD-R. I haven't tried any CDs. All of this is in Explorer. Plus, both types show 0 free space and 0 used space. I attempted extracting to a disc with WinRAR and opening with DVDShrink, both failed. :flowers: :trumpet: I found a M$ hotfix and realized DLA could contribute. Hotfix and removing DLA (and everything else by Sonic) didn't fix it. PLEASE HELP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users