Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Backup Caused A Space Problem..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 L'xiGo

L'xiGo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hi... I have: HP Laptop & Windows Vista Business.

Firstly: I made a mistake, I think all backups & restore should have been made in safe mode.. Anyway, currently its too late:

1. I made a HP.Entire.Drive.Backup on an External drive. It blocked at 77%, I restarted pc. 11GB was on my portable Hardisk as backup, I deleted it.
2. I tried again but made the backup of c: on c: itself. It went faster but stopped going further at 77% again. I canceled, it blocked, I restarted.

- Again, its used 11GB of my harddisk -> Problem: I dont know where it put that 1/2.Backup is on my Drive.
- Please Help someone!! I want to recover that '11GB space'.

3. Then, I tried 2 Windows System Restore which failed, then I tried it in Safe mode & it worked.

But although, it has Restored my system to the previous 'day' state -> When I check my Harddisk, it still displays 80GB Free instead of 90GB Free !!

Please Help me quickly, and tell me how to recover that space..

Help me:

1. If I have 70GB data, Manual Restore Point created -> Install a prog -> space become 100GB.

Would Windows System Restore restore the harddisk back to 70GB?

Edited by L'xiGo, 28 September 2008 - 04:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 L'xiGo

L'xiGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

1. I made a 'Recovery to Factory' settings of my Laptop - to recover the space I lost.

What I discovered is that so many people actually got the same problems as me with the HP Backup&recovery Manager:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1149309

Solution: I could not find any !! (HP itself did not give an answer.)

Notes Just Added:
- It says that the backup is stored at 'C:\System Recovery' BUT it is completely locked up and so cannot be accessed even by cmd prompt.
- 1 solution there was: Uninstalling the HP software completing which would remove its HP partition and empty the System Recovery folder & then making it accessible.

2. Now, I think changing to another 'Backup.Software' would be better:

Since I have installed all my programs back & updated my PC fully, I now really need to know which 'Entire Drive Backups progs' should I use?

I have 3 Backups Programs: Backup & Restore Center (From Vista), HP Backup & Recovery Manager, and Norton 360 Backup.

Could someone plz tell me which 1 of these progs is better to use?

I made some researched & found certain things:
- some infor I will add later here..

Edited by L'xiGo, 02 October 2008 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users