Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roaming Profile Size Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jimboscomp

Jimboscomp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:37 AM

Hi everyone....
OK, so Roaming Profiles, nothing too drastic or ground breaking about them. I am having a bit of an issue here. I have one client, who is an IT management broker. He has clients, and sends me out to do the work. A couple weeks ago he sent his father-in-law out (who also does the same thing) to setup a VPN and a roaming profile for one of our biggest clients. A week later I am asked to go out to the same place because they were having issues. To say the least, his father-in-law is an idiot. Didn't setup the VPN correctly and further more the roaming profile didn't work.

Here's my problem now that it's in my hands. We have the VPN setup and the computers are talking to the server. HOWEVER, the profile of this one user is 17GB. In this 17GB of data, he has an archival PST that he uses in Outlook. This PST file is about 3.6GB in size. The PST is located inside of My Documents in his profile. When I went to synch, it started to take it with it. Now it should, but I have an issue with this. Everytime that PST is modified, and he goes to synch with the server, it's going t synch that PST.

My question is, are we goin to have major speed problems synchronizing the files? As in are we going to sit here for hours waiting for it to synch a 3.6GB file? The user of the machine is always off site, never is he in the same network as the server. So all the synchronizing goes over the Internet via VPN. Should we find a different solution to have all of his files synchronized in the local network? I can setup to synch the files in the local network (he uses 3 different computers at the office he's in). Or should I stick to synchronizing it with the server?

Edited by Jimboscomp, 28 September 2008 - 02:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

In his case, he should be using OWA = Outlook Web Access to access his email. Roaming Profiles should only be done in the company. If possible they can setup a desktop and VPN and use his desktop to use email.

You do know that after 2Gigs a PST file will become corrupted.

#3 Jimboscomp

Jimboscomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

No, he's using Outlook 2003-07 PST files, which can go up to 20GB in size.
That's how I felt as well, he should have the PST on one machine (laptop since that's his main machine) only and then use the others for his Exchange. His exchange mailbox is very small and I would say it's safe to access that one from anywhere. His PST should stay on the laptop though. Thanks!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

No, he's using Outlook 2003-07 PST files, which can go up to 20GB in size.
That's how I felt as well, he should have the PST on one machine (laptop since that's his main machine) only and then use the others for his Exchange. His exchange mailbox is very small and I would say it's safe to access that one from anywhere. His PST should stay on the laptop though. Thanks!

Thank you for teaching me something new.

#5 Jimboscomp

Jimboscomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Sure! I noticed that the PST difference between Outlook 2000/2002 and 2003/2007 hasn't really been made very known. I found out by looking it up in a MS knowledge base article one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users