Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi! I'm new to Pro Tools and I thought maybe I could find some help... I'm really a novice at sound stuff and while I can do basic things I think... there is just some stuff that I don't do well. First, a bit about my system:

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, 3GHz Hyper-Threading, 2GB of RAM with the latest version of Pro Tools (7.4). I have the MBox 2 Mini (USB) with Sony MDR-7506 Headphones attached in the front headphone jack. Currently there is nothing plugged into the back but there are two 1/4" inputs, two 1/4" outputs, and an XLR port.

First off, I just got a microphone today, the Samson Q7, which attaches an XLR cable to the XLR port in the back of the Mini. I've tried restarting and shutting down the system but it isn't recognized or at least I can't seem to find it in either my Pro Tools or in the Windows Audio Configuration. This is the most important thing for me to get working as I will need to record directly into Pro Tools and the only other mic I have is USB and Pro Tools doesn't support it. The guy at Sam Ash said it would work, but so far I can't figure it out!

Secondly, I have this unimpressive speaker system I bought from Target. It only has the small computer speaker connection but I bought a plug that will connect it to the back of the MBox 2 Mini's 1/4" port. Unfortunately, when I connect the speakers through that port and switch the sound playback in the audio configuration settings in Windows, I get some audio... but it usually comes in choppy and it is selective about when it works. Most of the time I hear no sound at all. Am I just connection the speakers wrong or will that even work? I tried both input and output with similar results... well input gave me no sound at all but yeah...

Third and least important, I've got a Casio CTK-541 (Kinda old) and it's connected to my computer through a MIDI-USB connection. Is there a way to use that keyboard as a controller in Pro Tools? If not, is there a way I can?

If you have an answer or advice to any of my problems, I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. I'd like to get all this taken care of so I can start really working on these things. Thanks in advanced.

~ Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

I think I've figured the midi stuff out... at least I'm getting a signal... it's just not making any noise yet... I'll have to watch that tutorial again to see how to patch actual sounds through it... I can do it in other programs... there just seems to be an extra step in Pro Tools... and I don't know exactly what to do yet.

If you have a MIDI keyboard set up on your computer just start a new MIDI track in Pro Tools and when you hit the R on the track to prep for record, it shows the volume being affected, you can then record it... although there is some other method of assigning sound to it in Pro Tools... I'll need to figure that out.

#3 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

I got the microphone working in pro tools. The problem seemed to be that the mic/di button on the back was pushed in... I thought it needed to be but I guess it doesn't. I'm still having the speaker issue and now I'm curious whether it is possible to set the new microphone as the main microphone source for the computer.

~ Justin

#4 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

With the sound routed through pro tools in the output box I can hear audio through the speakers... but only in pro tools. I either get choppy sound or no sound outside of pro tools and I have tried changing the playback options in my sound configuration to the mbox2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users