Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Magic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeey.s

joeey.s

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hello guys,
I want to partition my C drive because, I feel more neater and safer like that. I want one for Windows, Important Data, and Misc.

I`m thinking of using Norton Partition Magic 8, but is there a program which is better that any of you can recommend?

I`m pretty noob with computer programming and I heard that if I make one wrong move while partitioning, it could severely ruin my computer system.

Can anyone of you guys give me any tips before I go ahead and partition my drive, or maybe give me a easy tutorial to follow using Partition Magic 8..

I would be dead meat if I screwed up the family computer.

Thanks in Advance.
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 flames1201

flames1201

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

Norton Partition Magic 8 is better than most but do you knw how to go about it? is your C drive your primary partition?

#3 joeey.s

joeey.s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

I don`t know a thing about it, and I don`t want to screw my system in any way. Yeah C is my primary drive.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:37 AM

First id back up all your important data, then completely reformat your computer then repartition using the windows Partition tool during install.

Also how big is your drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Don't reformat your system...

I use the Powerquet version of PM 8.0 (acquired before Powerquest was bought by Symantec) and the purpose of using this utility is to get around situations where a user might normally have to reformat in order to create or modify partitions.

Read the instructions...decide what you want to do...and use the appropriate options.

The first step would be to reduce the size of your current C: partition. Do that, ensuring that the resulting unallocated space is the size that you want for any partitions you intend to create.

My experience is that...although PM will allow you to input commands to do several things at once (resize C:, create new partitions)...it's best to take it one step at a time. I would reduce the C: partitions size, let that finish...then create my first partition, let that finish...then create my second partition, let that finish, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users