Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Firewall For Beginners

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

Can anyone suggest a firewall for beginners? Something that all I have to do is "point and click" if possible :flowers: . I'm old and get easily confused :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

not fair using 'old'.

I have zone alarm free and it's pretty darn easy. works well and I don't have to fuss with it. (fuss=old)
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#3 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

lol, I can so use "old"! And thanks, I'll check it out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

The XP firewall is about as easy as it gets...and it does the job.

The reason many of us shun the XP firewall has little to do with it's protective abilities...it's just that we want more control or more options or more something :thumbsup:. The same reason that A prefers this program while B prefers that program.

Louis

#5 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

The XP firewall is about as easy as it gets...and it does the job.

The reason many of us shun the XP firewall has little to do with it's protective abilities...it's just that we want more control or more options or more something :thumbsup:. The same reason that A prefers this program while B prefers that program.

Louis

So let me get this straight. All I really need is the XP firewall I've already got? If that's the case, that would be wonderful :flowers:!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

That is correct :thumbsup:, the Windows firewall does the basic protective job...which is why Microsoft makes it available as part of the operating system.

The firewalls that many of us use (Sunbelt, ZA, Avast, etc.) provide users with more detail which can be reviewed, more personal control, and monitoring capabilities of both incoming and outgoing traffic...which is fine for users who want to fiddle or be advised of such.

But these are not really what I would consider necessary functions for users who just want to know that they have taken basic steps to protect their systems from outside influences.

Some data on the Windows firewall, http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_firewall.htm

Louis

#7 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thank you Hamluis! Bless you! I'm leaving well enough alone, then :thumbsup:.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

Just to add my opinion, Ashampoo and Sygate are two that are very easy to use, easier than Zone Alarm.

Just for the record, the Windows firewall has three types of problems, you can read about them here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

Just to add my opinion, Ashampoo and Sygate are two that are very easy to use, easier than Zone Alarm.

Just for the record, the Windows firewall has three types of problems, you can read about them here.

Agree with you DC3.I use Sygate, and find it so easy to use. Much easier than Zone Alarm.

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Some links on using Windows firewall:

http://www.maximumpcguides.com/windows-firewall-explained/

http://www.networkuptime.com/winfw/page00-02.html

A tutorial on using free zone alarm firewall:

http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/free-...irewall-01.html

#11 image

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

I recommend Kerio firewall(free version) for the novice end user (use simple mode).
Also having a router with NAT enabled will help with random port scans.

#12 me_ben

me_ben

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

I recommend you buddies CA Personal Firewall. its very much great in functionality & do remind you guys about each & everything.
Signature removed by admin for failure to follow BC guidelines.

#13 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Just trying to get my system in order+thought I'd possibly change a few things. I read up on the 2 Firewalls, Ashampoo+Sygate. Ashampoo sounds good for a novice like me. How does it differ that much from Sygate? They both offer inbound+outbound protection.
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Since you are new to using a firewall you may want to read "Understanding and Using Firewalls".

Before installing a 3rd-party firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall. For instructions with screenshots, see How to turn off the Windows Firewall in SP2 or How to turn on or off the Windows Vista Firewall.

Using two software firewalls on a single computer could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction. For more information see:

The Differences and Features of Hardware & Software Firewalls",
Choosing a Firewall: Hardware v. Software"
How to choose a firewall

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks,Quietman7, I have a lot or reading to do. I'll post back here with any concerns/questions :thumbsup:
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users