Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 batchainpuller

batchainpuller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

I don't know if this is common but when I boot up computer the splash screen is shifted over so to the left (..or right? :thumbsup: ). When is does finish booting the screen is fine and centered. I also notice that the scrren is shifted on a bunch of my RealArcade games. I would love to know if anybody else has experienced this or has a fix for it. I"m lost!!! Thanx

Edited by batchainpuller, 27 September 2008 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Have you messed with your monitor settings?

#3 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

I have noticed that this has happen to me in the past when a Windows OS update was done. It always turned out to be my motherboard BIOS not talking to the Windows OS correctly anymore. A new/lastest motherboard BIOS update from my motherboard vendor always fixed the problem. Look for a new BIOS flash update for your motherboard.

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

BIOS flashes are dangerous. One small mistake (and there's many that can be made) will turn your system into an expensive paperweight.
Should you decide to update the BIOS despite this, there's several things that are very important:

1 ) Ensure that the BIOS flash that you're getting addresses the problem that you're having. Each BIOS update will usually come with a record of the fixes that it will do. If it doesn't apply to your problem, then it's not likely that you need it.

2 ) Ensure that you get the correct BIOS flash file. The incorrect one can hose your system. So, at a minimum, double or triple check that you have the correct file for the correct motherboard (check them both).

3 ) Read through the flash instructions prior to performing the flash - so that you'll know exactly what to expect (and what keys to press). Print the instructions out and have them handy when performing the flash. DO NOT guess at what key you should press - that's a recipe for disaster!

4 ) Ensure that the flash will not be interrupted for any reason what-so-ever. No power surges, no brownouts, no cats/dogs/kids running around the area, etc. It doesn't matter what causes it - if the flash is interrupted, there's a good chance that your BIOS will be hosed.

FWIW - IMO this is either a monitor issue or a video card/driver issue. I would pursue those avenues before attempting a BIOS flash.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 batchainpuller

batchainpuller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It really was only my monitor settings!! :thumbsup: I can't believe it was so easy to fix, I'm a little emmbarassed to say the least.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It really was only my monitor settings!! :thumbsup: I can't believe it was so easy to fix, I'm a little emmbarassed to say the least.

Eh don't be embarrassed about knowing about how to use your monitor settings. Some people dont know that part of their computers, as it is one thing that usually works.

You are welcome, and happy computing.

Edited by cryptodan, 28 September 2008 - 07:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users