Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Has Gone Goofy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Anndi

Anndi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

On my other computer I have installed and run scans with Adware, Malware, Antivirus & Spybot. I then went to restart the computer to do a log & the whole thing crashed. Now, I am not computer savvy at all & I really wanted to reinstall windows completely. So not having a clue what I was doing, I got the install disc & reinstalled XP. I only did a repair. BUT....now I can actually get into XP but when I go into the Add/Remove programms, there are no programs there. Just a blank page. The outside icons are there if you know what I mean, just no list of programmes. I then tried to do a restore to no avail. I know you are all shaking your heads in dismay (me too). Help please. I want so hard to fix this myself & not have to pay out to have it fixed. Thanks in advance.
Go placidly amist the noise & haste.........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Computer manufacturer and model?

What is this "install disk" you refer to? Is it a Microsoft copy of XP? Is it something prepared by the manufacturer of the system?

When you say that you tried to do a restore...what specific steps did you take (restore means different things, depending on the system and user)?

If we know exactly what you've done...chances are, someone will offer good suggestions.

Thanks.

When you boot into Windows...do you see two Windows folders on your C: partition...or just one?

Also...if you can go into Control Panel and take a look at the User Accounts...how many are reflected (and what are they)?

Louis

#3 Anndi

Anndi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hamluis - Would you like to come over to my house.......lol. I feel like a real idiot cause Im not sure of what Im doing, & prob don't explain myself well. So I'll try again. I was trying to clean the computer properly & went thru all the steps that they say on here to do. Then like I said when I went to restart it, it wouldn't go past the "Windows thingy when the green lights go round & round. (Gee I wish I knew the "Tech Terms".) So I thought stuff it I will totally reinstall windows. I used the "Original" windows XP disc (the one with the hologram on) & insterted it. The computer wouldn't recognise it at first & then I THINK I tried pressing F5 on start=up. (It was 2am & by then I was very tired). ok...then it went along to something about partitiion & I didn't know what that meant & so in the end I just went for a "Repair". :thumbsup: (I know thats what your'e thinking) lol. Hey Im a 53year old female ok. THEN.......it took me thru all the steps to install windows & in the end I came up as an ADDITIONAL user. When I went into it, I went into ADD?REMOVE & like I said there were no programs there. I then went into my sons site & the same. Then tried to do a restore & it would only let me restore at that particular time. The computer is: Asus M2A-VM HDMI all inone board, AMD Athlon 4400+ dual core processor, Twinmos 1gb DDR2 800mhz, 80gb. I hope this is all the info you need.
At the end of the day ideally I want to completely reinstall windows on this computer for my son. There is nothing on it that I want (everything has been taken off of importance). I want to start afresh with a clean slate so to speak. Like I said Im not too computer savvy but I can follow instructions very carefully - so any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

Read thru the "Beginners guide to installing XP" in the link below. Anything you have questions on, just ask.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1435&page=2

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

OK :thumbsup:...you're doing fine.

FWIW: I'm a 62-year old male, with the same motherboard and processor :flowers:. I bought my first computer when I was 50, so I know what it is to learn to be comfortable/familiar with computers, the jargon, etc.

And I'm glad to hear that you actually have the Microsoft XP CD and not some "restore CD." I can now figure out what probably happened.

The XP CD...initially provides two options: A repair option by using the Recovery Console...and an install option. If a user wants to do a repair install (tricky phrase) on an existing XP install, user should elect the install option.

There's another curveball here...in the fact that the XP install CD will not allow a user to do a repair install on an existing version of XP that is more recent than the CD. What I should say is that it warns against this...but if the user is persistent, he/she can still do a reinstall of XP...but it will wipe out the old one...or it will duplicate and create a new install while leaving no trace of the old install for the user.

Well...almost no trace. What happens is that XP creates another Windows folder and the user has two installs of XP on the same partition, which can be confusing :trumpet:.

That's why I asked whether you see two Windows folders in the C: partition (using Explorer view) and whether a new user account had been created in the Control Panel/User Accounts area.

Although it might appear that your previous install (and data) is gone, I think it might still be available (if you really did a duplicate install).

Soooo...my next question is...when you boot the computer, are you given two choices of XP to boot into? Or does it just boot into the new XP?

Don't worry about your desire for a clean install, we'll get there :inlove:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2008 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Anndi

Anndi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Louis - your'e a godsend. When I start up the computer it did go into 2 users. So I deleted the account that was made upon reinstall (if that makes sense) so I now have the original one (my sons). I still cannot get into add/remove as I thought maybe I should delete all the ani-spy stuff and start again. But its a blank page. I then went into security to see if my firewall was on and there is nothing in the security as well. Went into firewall but it says: Due to unidentified prob windows cannot display firewall settings. Louis I have lodged a log in the log part of the forums if maybe you can understand anything from that. Thanks :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

If you posted a log in the Hijack This part of the website...you need to take all further instructions from them until they clear you.

Can you post a link (here) showing me your post of the log? Thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 lomaxomatic

lomaxomatic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

On my other computer I have installed and run scans with Adware, Malware, Antivirus & Spybot. I then went to restart the computer to do a log & the whole thing crashed. Now, I am not computer savvy at all & I really wanted to reinstall windows completely. So not having a clue what I was doing, I got the install disc & reinstalled XP. I only did a repair. BUT....now I can actually get into XP but when I go into the Add/Remove programms, there are no programs there. Just a blank page. The outside icons are there if you know what I mean, just no list of programmes. I then tried to do a restore to no avail. I know you are all shaking your heads in dismay (me too). Help please. I want so hard to fix this myself & not have to pay out to have it fixed. Thanks in advance.

I would say that you have made a big mistake in installing all these softwares at one time. All these adwares and malware removal programmes if installed altogether , will screw your computer in suach a way. The basic problem is that these softwares makes an entry in the startup ns start when the windows starts. As all these programmes eats up all the available memory and leaves no space for other windows services to run, computer often hangs or crashes very badly, that happened in your case too.

I would suggest that rather than repairing , just install xp again and do not make a big blunder of installing all these softwares together/\. To make the comuter safe , just make a combination like this. One antivirus programme + one anti spyware , for indtance, mcafee + pc tools spyware doctor.

#9 lomaxomatic

lomaxomatic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

well anndi, if you need any help either post a reply . I would love o help you out. Thanks. Have a great time ahead

#10 Anndi

Anndi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

I decided to re-install windows in the end. Quite a task seeing as I had no idea what I was doing. I so envy you people with all the know how. But I love computers & I am determined to get this darn thing up & running again for my son. I did do another post which I will post back in here:
I took the bull by the horns today & reinstalled windows xp. Everything seems ok except I cannot access the internet. I phoned my ISP & they told me I had to install the NIC drivers. I have no idea what or where they are. Can anyone help me on this. ALso, when I went into device settings there were these things with yellow question marks besides them:Ethernet Controller, PCI device, SM Bus Controller, Unknown device & video controller (VGA Comp). Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.
If I have to download these things from the internet I can't as I can't access the internet. If I have to install them from some other disc that came with the computer please leet me know. (Not that I will have any idea how to do it. lol.)
Also, when you reinstall windows, is that all you have to. e.g. After I installed windows & installed all the programmes that I need. Is there anything else I need to do.

#11 lomaxomatic

lomaxomatic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

hi anndi. I am glad to know that you did the thing what was best suited at this moment of time. from your quote "ALso, when I went into device settings there were these things with yellow question marks besides them:Ethernet Controller, PCI device, SM Bus Controller, Unknown device & video controller (VGA Comp)", when yyou go to device manager , you will see yellow colored question marks, which signifies that for the drivers for these devices are missing. The best way to do is if you have drivers cd (which is supplied with the computer when you purchase it) just put that in the cd drive. Start the computer, go to my computer----right click -----properties-----hardware----device manager---- then right click on the big yellow question mark, and you will get the "update driver" option. Just click on that, and it will search the drivers available in the cd for itself. You can do for the components which are showing question marks in front of them.

Alternatively if you have missed that driver cd somewhere you can get the drivers from internet search as well.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Grade: B-plus :thumbsup:.

When you reinstall or install an operating system, you also have to install the drivers. Drivers are little programs/routines which allow the various hardware/software components...interact with Windows properly.

With every motherboard purchased from a retailer...also comes a CD, which contains the drivers for that particular motherboard to function effectively with Windows.

The reason you have all the red/yellow markings in Device Manager..is the fact that this CD has not yet been run on the new install.

You need to get that CD (black and green, with M2A-VM Series at top), insert it into the CD/DVD drive...and let it autorun. It will install all the drivers which apply and which are on that CD.

Remember that I have the same motherboard :flowers:.

Louis

#13 Anndi

Anndi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Louis. I DID IT< I DID IT>. I am sooooooo proud of myself. I found the CD & let it do its thing. I now have INTERNET and everything is going just fine. Can't believe I really got this far without having to pay the guy around the corner to fix it for me. Thanks for all your help.

p.s. So what Grade am I now.....???????? lol

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

Hey, Aussie!

You did us all Proud, Mate, I will give you a 10!

You might like this Thread for other Aussies and their Mates? Not meaning to Spam, just showing a fellow Contryperson a Nice place on this Forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/165812/poms-aussie-kiwi-and-springbok-banter/

:thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

A-plus :thumbsup:, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users