Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 inanna

inanna

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

I have an Insignia D300a
Windows xp
1GB DDR SDRAM
Intel Pent 4 CPU 2.8 GHz
power supply Hipro Hp-p3037F5

currently with Intel 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller (Driver version 6.14.10.4342)

I want to get a graphics card for it and had thought about something in the 7 series of Nvidia, but it doesn't have to be I just need something better than what I have and affordable.
I have no idea how to tell what is compatable or how to tell.
I play WoW and that is the main reason for the upgrade. Any help would be welcome.

Edited by inanna, 27 September 2008 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

From the limited information I have been able to dig up on that model, it doesn't have anything but PCI slots available to use for an upgrade. I could be wrong, but check to see if there is at least an AGP slot available. I just don't think a decent (decent meaning better than you current integrated graphics) card can fit in that system.

Edited by dpunisher, 27 September 2008 - 02:34 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 inanna

inanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

There are no AGP slots only 2 PCI, I do have a whole bunch more info on whats in my machine but didn't know what else to add.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

If you're only playing WoW, a basic graphics card should be good enough, even a PCI one. You could get an ATI 9250 or Nvidia 6200 for a cheaper card, that should play WoW pretty well. If you want to spend over 100$, you can get an ATI X1300/X1550. I don't think an x1300 or x1550 is really worth the money if you're just playing WoW though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users