Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Boot, Neither Will Safe Mode, No Error Message

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sebato

Sebato

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hi guys,

I'm in pretty big trouble here. Since this morning, when I try to boot up my WindowsXP SP3, it just restarts the computer, I believe before the loading bars on the bottom of the screen appear. Sadly, no error message appears on screen. After the first unsuccesful try, I was greeted with the options screen, to start Windows normally or in safe mode.

When trying to boot into safe mode, you can see a couple of files loading, but after that, only the blinking cursorin the top left corner appears and just keeps on doing his thing forever, the keyboard doesn't accept any input any more.

How can I find out what is causing the resets? I have tried accessing the files on C: with a boot cd and everything works just fine.

Edited by Sebato, 27 September 2008 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

If you have the Windows startup CD try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Chkdsk found and corrected at least one error, but unfortunately this didn't fix the problem.

Edited by Sebato, 27 September 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#5 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

No difference after running FIXMBR.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

You still have the black screen with blinking cursor in upper left of screen?

Louis

#7 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Only if I try to boot into safe mode, normal start still gives resets.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

Well...if it were me, I'd try the fixboot command next...if that proves the UN-answer, I would then try the bootcfg /rebuild command.

Since you can't boot into anything, you've nothing to lose except a few seconds of time.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Try running chkdsk /r again - does it find more errors?

If the various recovery console options don't help, then I'd have to suggest a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Here's a topic that contains the most common ones: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

You can also try this free, bootable memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts giving errors - stop the test and post back here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

I'm this close to throwing it all out of the window. None of the suggestions helped or reveiled any problems, used the memory test already last week because of a different matter with no negative results.

When I run the programm for my HD (Samsung) it tries to do a surface scan, but after about two seconds the test ends without errors. Right now Spinrite is running, but it will take another 3:25 h

Here is something very odd I discovered. I use Norton Ghost to back up my boot partition. When restoring an old state, the process completed succesfully, but the same problem persists (resetting). What I then did was, format the C: drive (assuming the fault has something to do with the hard drive) and restoring the Ghost backup again, but still now luck. The Ghost files integrity is allright. Tried it with two different backups, but both had the same problem. Which leads me to believe, that the files are in order and the problem is with the hardware.

But get this: When I install a fresh copy of Windows, it starts normally. Haven't tried it in everyday use, just a normal install without anything extra and just let it run for a couple of minutes.

There seems to be some kind of problem, so I don't want to install a new WinXP yet. Ideally, I would like to use the latest backup from today again.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Edited by Sebato, 27 September 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and the SeaGate SeaTools. As I recall, the SeaTools has a drive controller test that you can run.

I suspect that you have a real problem with your hardware because the Samsung test terminated right away. That shouldn't happen.
It'll be interesting to see what SpinRite has to say. Please post back with the results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Spinrite just finished with no errors. No on to the next two programs you suggest...

Well, that was quick.

The Seagate Seatool Desktop Edition shows a red dot next to the hard drive, after running the short test, which stands for "failed". No further explanation or text in the log file is displayed.

Drive Fitness Test Reboots PC upon starting.

Edited by Sebato, 27 September 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Just a wild (unlikely) guess...but when you go into the BIOS...does your clock there reflect the correct time? And date?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#14 Rostam.

Rostam.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

try booting in with a boot cd that has gdisk on it, once you boot in to your cd run (gdisk 1 /mbr) this should reinitialize yor mbr & seewhat happenes.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

Do you have an OEM Computer eg dell gateway or hp that is AMD based?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users