Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time And The Right Place

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

Something is happening that causes me, and from what i read and hear, many people frustration and stress.
Realizing that at least part of this is caused by time demands which for instance require that more time is needed to do a task or find and answer to a question; i think not having another name for "it" makes "it" difficult to talk about. If the tire on my car is flat i can change it if i know how, or get help doing it. Help can be AAA service which comes out and does it for you. ( How much time do i have to spend waiting for AAA to get to wherever it is that i am when the flat is discovered and give the person who arrives to fix the flat all of the information that he requires to actually fix the flat, then wait for him to fix the flat and if he doesn't know where the tire is or jack is and then asks me to provide him with the info to find that stuff, fix the flat, sign the paper and leave? )
Of course i can fix it myself; takes less time and besides the pitfalls of getting a little dirty and possibly rapping a knuckle, i can rest assured that doing it myself effects so many other things in a positive way because i "saved time".

i suppose i can go on giving other examples of this however i have an agenda. i want to open up a discussion about this commonly asked practice of leading off forums with the suggestion to search the data base for "my answer" before posting. It is understandable that those who offer to help others here are spending time and "time is valuable" to all of us goes without saying. But i realize that using a search feature of any site is as good as the words that one types into the search. So in what might be a perfect example of suggesting to users NOT to put the word "HELP" or any other form of it ie HELP!!! in the subject of their post for what seems to me obvious reasons we still have lots of people who still use it anyway. So if i typed HELP in my search there probably would be so many posts that it would be near impossible to even stumble upon an answer that is like the one i am looking for.
With this in mind doesn't it make more sense to just have a member post his question and when another member who is here to help reads the post they can ( as they have for me ) paste a link to what they believe answers my question? It is really a much more efficient way to save time for everyone. And if after reading the link you provide me, i still think my question is different or needs further explanation THEN i can continue on the post that i started.

When i signed in for the first time in a long while and knew to look for an answer to my question i discovered that the bleeping search box kept telling me that my search had too many words of 3 letters or less ( it didn't ) so i tried rewriting the words for the search and got the same error message, i decided to change my search to the word "search" and was given a list of posts none of which seemed to address "search" as a subject. So which forum, which topic, where would be the best place to post a question about posting a question and "searching" for answers? i picked this one.

Now if this is the wrong place for this question or if there is a better place for this question isn't it pretty easy for the power that be to move it to the right place?

Is there something wrong with thinking this way?

The wonderful members here helped me with my problem in short order and i so appreciate having people with lots more knowledge than i have here to make suggestions and explain what to do. Thanks to all who helped and to all who help others!
My feedback here is intended to present a little different spin on how the SOP suggested by banks, phone companies, service providers, etc...everyone signs on to the same SOP which i think is not the best way to expedite resolve.

Dose anyone agree or have other thoughts about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

i want to open up a discussion about this commonly asked practice of leading off forums with the suggestion to search the data base for "my answer" before posting.

The main purpose of the forum is not to simply hand out answers, but to help the members learn how to solve problems on their own and grow from the experience. I find that when you simply tell someone to go here and do this, they do not remember what they did to fix the situation.

That said, the Search function for the forum is quite useless and there's not much we can do about it. It's in the forum software
I've found most of my database searches by using Google and when you type in your search parameters include the words bleeping computer in the search box
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

i want to open up a discussion about this commonly asked practice of leading off forums with the suggestion to search the data base for "my answer" before posting.

I've found most of my database searches by using Google and when you type in your search parameters include the words bleeping computer in the search box

Ingenious! Except for the "Google" part.

Best search engine:

http://www.copernic.com/en/products/agent/

#4 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

The main purpose of the forum is not to simply hand out answers, but to help the members learn how to solve problems on their own and grow from the experience. I find that when you simply tell someone to go here and do this, they do not remember what they did to fix the situation.

That said, the Search function for the forum is quite useless and there's not much we can do about it. It's in the forum software

Before i remembered being a member of bleeping computer i did a google search and more often than not i do not find what i'm looking for with-in the first 4 pages...sometimes i'll jump around before quiting and jumping ahead to page 11 and 13 and X to see if something jumps out that is relative...mostly a waste of time.
So i came here and you garmanma and another person helped...when i asked about virus protection for the old win 98 computer that i was trying to get up and running i was pointed to another forum which helped; the answer you provided was the link to what i needed to read. That's different than giving me "the answer" wouldn't you agree?

i think MY frustration is aggravated by other modern time changes that irritate me and so many other people that i see it as one of the straws on a camels back that completes the old saying.....

How many phone "menus" have changed: "Please listen to all the options because our menu's have changed. If you know your parties extension press it in now...." then they always seem to present you with issues that aren't yours. Yours is always the last one. Then i started keeping track of my calls on a sheet of paper next to my phone to find out how many "menus" say the same exact thing, how many phone "menus" lead to the wrong place, and how many connections get dropped for god knows what reason: 20 % get dropped while listening to the elevator music, or more often when someone clicks over to take the call. Imagine that you record ALL of your calls and upload it to a data base that profiles a companies performance.

So let me plant another seed. Some here may call me a conspiracy theorists but something is changing and we are getting sucked up in the tide. All of a sudden people are asking to see my driver license for things they do not need to see it for ( a $3.39 purchase at a dollar store that i had to use my debit card for when i discovered that i didn't have cash.). Consequently i've lost my driver license 3 times since Feb when i moved to a new state. As a friend of my suggested: "Take out your license out of your wallet, hold it in your hand, and DO NOT HAND IT TO THE PERSON WHO ASKS TO 'SEE' IT"! Of course do gooders want to know what i have to hide or what i did wrong. i have NOT done anything wrong. Unlike most people i served in war time for my country, i pay my taxes, go to church, volunteer often, and help people whenever i see a need and have the time to do so. Now these people who reep the benefit of living in this great country because of the sacrifices of a few
( FYI only 1% of the whole population serves in the military ) Yesterday the lady at the bank told me that i was complaining to the wrong person, that "there is a website that you can complain about 'the patriot act' ". That might be so lady but i'm here in your office, at MY bank where i've been coming since i moved to this town and every time i want to do anything here you ask to see my license, now this time when i'm trying to make a small cash deposit you seem to think that the expiration date of my license is incorrect and think that my number has changed....so now you want to touch it, to input the new number. Who said there is a new number? Why don't you speak out the number that you are seeing on your computer and i will tell you if it's the same number. And why is it taking me 20 minutes to deposit cash? Is cash illegal now?
Sorry, these drones sitting in offices behind desks are order followers and somehow think that they're doing what is right and what is told to them to do. TMI folks!

As the world gets more complicated with BS in the name of "security" "efficiency", and "economics" trust me, none of these drones will see or can see that they played a part in the economic hardship that we are falling into as i type this. This message too is then not just about searching for information ( which will bring up another subject that i should probably put into another post ) but you can't kick the cage of your dog and not expect that at some point he's not going to bite you.

We all need to figure out what rattles the cage and participate in telling others that you don't like it.

So let me say this in closing after going off on my tangent: Bleeping computer is a model that we should have more of in other areas of life. Just as i don't need to take my computer into "an expert" who has to pay his bills and has set a rate ( $45.00 an hour ) in order to pay those bills so he charges a rate that is so ridicules for changing a cmos battery that people wind up getting a new computer rather than get an old one "fixed" And we don't have to examine all of the reasons a new computer is better. That may go with out saying. But what happens with the old computer is a consideration that we shouldn't take lightly.
Help others! Do things for free. Do things that spreads good will. We're all going to need a lot of that soon.

Thanks for listening and replying!

Edited by Kryptonite, 30 September 2008 - 04:34 AM.

#5 Brewster Down Under

Brewster Down Under

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Excelent post, I agree entirely God help those who follow us. many will agree with you i'm sure. :flowers: :thumbsup:
Blame It On The Dog

#6 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

Excelent post, I agree entirely God help those who follow us. many will agree with you i'm sure. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Thanks Brewster for your vote of support.

i often think that one reason that the masses don't get up and make noise about all of this crap that gets shoveled down our throat is because people are now affraid that they'll be singled out, put on a list, will be watched, and as long as they can "get away with" having their little wordly delights they say nothing.
If the gov was really smart they would legalize opium, maybe even give it away spinning it to be a new cure for what ailes you....so everyone would be drugged out and happy in their own little world. Oh wait, they're already doing that with or without opium; their drug of choice is whatever it is that makes them spend money and be happy.

There is a movie that was released in Early 06 delayed for a number of reasons that are in themself interesting. i've been trying to find "google search" a small story line that mentions how and why America almost overnight fell from the ranks of world powers #1 in particular, to a country in Chaos mostly because of blunderous deceisons made by an administration ( accepted by the public ) which sent jobs out of the country and render the once all mighty dollar to toilet paper ( if the paper itself wasn't more filty than the thing it's used to clean ) If i recall there is also an epidemic created by the pharmaceutical companies " by mistake " but distributed to millions of people in a vaccine that was meant to prevent the disease it wound up causing. Oh...so you say that this could never happen?
Check this out....( http://www.generationrescue.org/index.html ) it's a hot topic on the epidemic of Autism blamed on vaccines which the pharm companies deny of course.

The movie does not spend much time going into the American issue but mentions it in the begining for referrence. The priminister of Britian also blames what's happening in the world on America....so what else is new?

Oh, the movie: 'V for Vendetta'

You can't say that the signs haven't been around in many forms: News, Movies, Talk shows, the internet. But those glory days of the 60's when students protested, organizations were formed, people made it perfectly clear that they were not happy with the choices being made by the gov. It caused a sitting president to " not seek" the 2nd term of his presidentcy.

Where are those voices now?
Looks like there's just you and i and you're downunder!

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 October 2008 - 08:06 AM.
Moved from General Topics to the more appropriate. Carry on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users