Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Harddrive Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dyanisme

Dyanisme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

First off, I'm probably in the wrong forum for this question. If so, I apologize.

I recently purchased a new computer that has a massive harddrive. 500gigs. The problem is that when the computer arrived, the manufacturer (Dell) had already installed windows and everything was set up for me. The reason that this is a problem is because I had always been told that the best way to handle large drives like mine is to partition them. So here are my questions.....

Do I need to partition the drive?

If so, how do I do that since my operating system is already installed? Will have to write over it and do a fresh install (btw, THAT idea scares me)?

If I don't do that, will I have trouble organizing and backing up files and directories on my drive?

If I do partition, can you suggest how big each drive should be?

Thanks all!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

Partitioning your hard drive is always up to you.

I know if you use the windows install disc, they should of sent you, you can partition your hard drive from there, but I don't know if you can do it that way without having to reinstall windows. There is other software out there, and maybe someone could provide you with some if you decide that you want to partition your hard drive.

You shouldn't really have anymore problems organizing your files. I never partition my hard drives, and I never have a problem with organization.

The size of each partition is totally up to you. Some people like to make two partitions, with one consisting of their Windows installation, plus a few extra gigabytes. Then the rest, much larger portion, for everything else.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

The advantage of having the OS on one partition and your other applications and files on another is that if you have to reinstall the OS you will only need to reformat the partition with the OS, the applications and files that are on the other partition will not be effected.

There are applications that can be used to add a partition. I have seen GParted recommended for this, but have not used it myself.

As has been suggested, if you have the Windows installation CD you can always reformat the hdd and add the second partition. You will need the other CDs with the drivers for the motherboard and the other applications that aren't part of Windows. Or...you could just live with the one large partition. Just make sure that you regularly back up your important files and save the installation setups for any downloaded applications to a removable media,CDs, DVDs, flash drives, backup hdd. .

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users