Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp3 Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxette

Tuxette

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:20 AM

I am writing on behalf of a friend who since installing (or trying to) Windows XP Service Pack 3 now has no internet access via Internet Explorer. She has a Dell desktop machine with a wired router (D Link via Waitrose ISP). Windows tried to install SP 3 last week and stopped after 20 minutes or so with a message saying there was insufficient hard disc space to complete the installation. (Not true she has 66GB.) The PC crashed and she switched it off. When restarting later in the day she has no access to the internet although the router is working fine as she has a wireless connection on a laptop which is working OK.

She cannot uninstall SP3, we have tried 2 or three ways of doing this and nothing happens. She cannot do a system restore as there are no restore points in bold before the date of the SP3 installation. I checked that the restore points was ON and it is so thatís another mystery.
Calls to Waitrose cannot sort her, they say it is a Microsoft problem.
Anyone had a similar experience? Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

Does she have the Windows installation CD ? If yes you may try the step with the Recovery Console and then modify the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:22 AM

Can you verify her disk usage? If the error does state not enough disk space then there isn't.

#4 Tuxette

Tuxette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

As already stated, she has 66GB free on her hard drive.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Is the drive partitioned, and her windows install on a smaller partition?

#6 Tuxette

Tuxette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

As already stated, she has 66GB free on her hard drive.

#7 Tuxette

Tuxette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

Her drive may be partitioned, I'm not absolutely sure but I'm pretty certain Windows is on the C drive which has 66 GB free.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

I realize that you are getting second-hand info...but...what was the exact error message your friend received?

There's no logical reason that Windows would have failed to notice the free room on a C: partition with 66GB free...unless the hard drive itself has problems that prevent Windows from reading/using it properly.

Dell what model?

Louis

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I realize that you are getting second-hand info...but...what was the exact error message your friend received?

There's no logical reason that Windows would have failed to notice the free room on a C: partition with 66GB free...unless the hard drive itself has problems that prevent Windows from reading/using it properly.

Dell what model?

Louis

It can if the Operating System is on a different partition that is low on space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users