Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Blaster Worm!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Itachi

Itachi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi, new around here....Starting yesterday my computer started to shut down by itself... A window opens saying : "This system is now shutting down. Please save all work progresses and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\ SYSTEM. " A 60 second countdown timer is below it...then another note saying Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call ( RPC ) Service terminated unexpectedly.

I looked it up and found out it was a blaster worm. I used Windows Defender, Norton and Symantec to scan my computer for any files infected and nothing showed up. I tried looking for it in the task manager but msblast.exe wasn't there...could anyone help? I have a log saved from "HijackThis"...but i'm not sure whether i should post this?
Please help...thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

Haven't seen this one in a while. Does your computer have the latest updates?

EDIT: I just saw another user reporting that a rogue program called Windows Antivirus was telling him he was infected with the Blaster worm. This could be what is happening on your computer.
Use Super Antispyware to find and remove the Rogue.
http://www.superantispyware.com/ Run the scan in Safe Mode after you have installed and updated SAS in normal mode.

Post the SAS log.

Edited by buddy215, 27 September 2008 - 09:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Would this be a windows 2000 computer?

How is it connected to the internet?

Edited by DaChew, 27 September 2008 - 12:53 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users