Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Data After A Restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kenopolis

Kenopolis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

This is kinda to follow up on my earlier post.

I installed SP3 on my HP AMD64 Pavilion with XP media center.

It proceded to crash my system and cycle the rebooting.

I was able to restore my PC, but now I'm missing my E-mail addresses, and E-mail rules. (I spent nearly 2 years fine tuning it to weed out all spam and get my mail where I want it.)

I found all my pictures, and most of my music and other documents

but my address book seems to be gone with the wind.

Anyone know where HP might have stashed it? Or is that part of what gets lost?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Atlas Solutions

Atlas Solutions

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

When you say you were able to 'restore' your computer, what exactly do you mean? What means did you employ to restore your system? If you performed a complete system reinstall, it's going to be dicey trying to restore your files.

Additionally, what email program had you been using before the upgrade? Outlook Express? Outlook? Thunderbird? The Bat!? (heh)

I look forward to hearing your reply.

-K

#3 Kenopolis

Kenopolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

I used restore to an earlier date... There was an option to keep settings and personal info. Sorry to say I'm not sure if it was HP's restore or Windows. All my files were safe, but settings not. Now that I think of it, I think on my old computer, I saved the address file onto disk. (wab file?) Which means I may still have it somewhere. I'll have to go digging...

I don't have a windows boot disk, as HP didn't come with one, but I do have back up cds from HP. However I made them when I first got the computer, and it only allows you to do it once. Therefore, all my personal files would go bye bye. So I didn't use it.

In the mean time, if i could recover my newer addresses it would be better. I use outlook express.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Did you do a Start/Search (all files, including system) for *.wab?

If you find several, simply replace the newest one with the older.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users