Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Amd64 Hp Computer Got Hit By Sp3. What Now?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kenopolis

Kenopolis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

I have an HP Pavilion media center PC with XP media center, and an AMD Athlon 64

I updated to SP 3 last week, and it got stuck in reboot just as described in the forum below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

Important Notes! XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots - (HP/Compaq with an AMD (non INTEL) processor systems)

I managed to get my computer recovered, all my files were okay (except for a few which I'll ask about next) and I've upgraded my protection.

However, now I want to use windows update, but I'm scared to death of SP3 now, because of this.

Also, if SP 3 came out in may, why did my computer take so long to want to install it? I installed lots of other updates since then.

What do I need to do to be sure I won't have to go through this again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

Do you updates set to automatically download and install? If so, change the setting to Download updates but let me choose when to install. When you get a notification that new updates are ready to install, click on custom or whatever it says. UNCHECK any you don't want to install.
Rigel posted a link for a patch from HP-did you look at that info?
Did you look at Garmanma's links for the solution regarding non-intel systems and SP3?

If you really don't want to see XP3 again, you can go to Windows Updates, scan for available updates.
When SP3 shows up, there should be an option to hide the update.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 September 2008 - 12:51 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:30 AM

Do you updates set to automatically download and install? If so, change the setting to Download updates but let me choose when to install. When you get a notification that new updates are ready to install, click on custom or whatever it says. UNCHECK any you don't want to install.
Rigel posted a link for a patch from HP-did you look at that info?
Did you look at Garmanma's links for the solution regarding non-intel systems and SP3?

If you really don't want to see XP3 again, you can go to Windows Updates, scan for available updates.
When SP3 shows up, there should be an option to hide the update.

I don't think critical updates can be hidden.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

In short, you'll have to disable the Intel processor driver from loading. Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, try this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Scroll down the driver's tab looking for the Intel processor driver (I think it's intelppm.sys)

Here's a link to the HP fix (after installing SP3): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...0426&dlc=en
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

Cryptodan, you are correct, I was wrong.
Critical updates cannot be hidden.
I had seen Hide this update or whatever it says listed under critical updates, but didn't realize it is grayed out so it can't be selected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users