Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Power But Its Not The Psu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 badomen111

badomen111

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hey,

Recently my friend blew his power supply, we think its because of old wiring but whatever, it stopped working.

So i got a new power supply, put it in but the system wont do anything! I tested the PSU using a paper clip and a CD drive and it works fine outside the case, but when i put it into the computer and plug in the needed cords nothing happens when you turn it on! (nothing means nothing the cpu fan doesnt even move etc)

What could cause this? Im guessing the mobo is screwed due to whatever killed the first power supply but is there anything else i should check first? or a easy way i can confirm it is the mobo

I made sure that the cables that need to be plugged in were so its not that :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:14 AM

Assuming everything is plugged in correctly, disconnect the power switch from the motherboard header and short those two pins together momentarily. That will eliminate the switch as a cause. Likely you have a toasted mobo but it never hurts to eliminate the simple stuff.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

There is a switch on you power supply. I the good old U.S.A. it should be set too 110v

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

As for the PSU...the simple test is to put it (temporarily) into a different, known-good system.

The motherboard diagnosis is not so simple :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

A faulty cpu fan will do exactly what you described.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users