Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Virus Free But Yuck! Can You Help?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lchageman

lchageman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hi,
I spent a few days with the malware guys checking to make sure my problem wasn't caused by a virus or spyware. The logs are all clean, so they suggested I check the Windows XP forum. Since I had already done some Windows XP maintenance before posting in the first place, I tend to think my problem is hardware related. I'm copying my previous posts from the other forum. Any thoughts? Sorry I forgot to add it's running Windows XP SP3.

I've spent several days trying to figure out why my computer is running slow and has intermittent freezing. I've followed many helps for dealing with Slow Windows XP and did a lot of housekeeping/suggested maintenance. Also found out that the reason my computer all of a sudden was noisy was that the fans were full of dust. Cleaned out the computer and followed all suggestions; quieter now but still having problem. I keep getting a disk/CD symbol next to my mouse pointer and the PitStop utility said my CPU is running at 100%. I've dumped all kinds of programs at startup and running in the background. I ran a QuickScan of SuperAntiSpyware and found 100 + Tracking cookies and a couple trojans which got deleted/quarantined. I don't think Norton picked up anything when it scanned last Friday. I have tried to boot in Safe Mode to do full scans, but won't let me. I get a screen full of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2) lines and then nothing else. Also, twice I got a Secondary drive 0 not found message. Kaspersky Webscan froze when I tried to run it.

Update: I was able to run the Kaspersky scan-took close to 3 hours but it came back clean. The computer seems to be working o.k. now. Am I dealing with some kind of fault having something to do with gunked up fans?

Still having "hanging" problem. I checked the computer's error logs a couple days ago and it shows recurring errors as follows relating to Atapi device:
Device\Ide\Ide Port 1\ Did not respond; not ready for access
Controller error Device\Cd Rom 0
The following were listed as Hanging applications: AcroRd32.exe, mmc.exe, helpctr.exe, Automatic Live Update Scheduler-Initialization of COM subsystem failed, spywareblaster.exe, ATF-Cleaner.exe, iexplore.exe

Yes, I'm still having the problem. The log you requested follows. The scan came out clean and I removed Viewpoint Media Player. I'm guessing I do have some sort of hardware problem then? I've noticed that if I reboot and get the Secondary Drive 0 not found error and then let it continue to boot, that the hanging problem goes away.

Edited by lchageman, 26 September 2008 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Did you remove the heatsink fan and clean the heatsink fins underneath?
Ditto with the video card if you have one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Forgive my ignorance, is the heatsink fan the one on top enclosed in metal? If so, how do I remove it (safely)? I have a 2nd fan under /beside that one I think I cleaned pretty good. Again, I didn't remove it; not sure how to do that one either. I didn't take out the video card, but haven't been having any graphics problems. I can pull it out and check the fan underneath to be on the safe side. Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Cleaning the PC interior

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

This pic is a fan/heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...%20CPU%20Cooler
The block underneath the fan has fins, similar to a car radiator. They get plugged up

Edited by garmanma, 27 September 2008 - 02:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

O.K. I have not cleaned the heatsink fan. The tutorial is very helpful-thanks! I am going to attempt to clean everything again and will let you know the result.

#6 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Going through my old content and can't believe I never followed up on this!!!! :( So Sorry!!!
Anyway, YES, giving an old Computer a thorough cleaning helps so much! Cleaning it this time and subsequent times has kept the mechanical parts in really good condition and it's still going strong-just completed several upgrades to hopefully extend the life of this circa 2003 PC!:)
I recommend that cleaning tutorial to everyone-it is very easy to follow and I keep it handy for when I need to go back in! Thank you garmanma!!!

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

This made my day. RIP garmanma and thank you from me too.

#8 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Wow-I didn't know and now I feel really bad I didn't let Mark know he helped me sooner-I hope he knew how many people he was able to help!!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Mark was a great friend...to many posters...some of us made sure that he knew how much it meant to all whom he helped/assited/advised :). No need to feel bad.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users