Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stump the cow!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

I do have a few good questions for WIN applications, but I have to ask someone something first.

Is it OK for me to start a topic like this for multitude questions? I would not want to flood the boards with alot of smaller threads about Windows. As long as they are still related to the topic, Stumping the Cow, then is it ok?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

Ok open but one request please post in seperate topic's ok. Thanks guy's good luck cows!!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

I dont understand this one? Please help? As far as i know im the only cows on the bleepingcomputer site. So is tis topic towards me?

#4 alexgtp

alexgtp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:06 AM

Seems like this forum is only for HJT logs..LOL!!

I am new here and was hoping to get some other info.. But everything is HJT logs.. Still a cool place for info..

:thumbsup:

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

I dont think so it is in general chat. I sure hope it aint or im in trouble again! LOL

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

No its stump the cow cowsgonemadd, Good luck on the help!

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

You have to hit me i still dont understand. I stump JE or people try and stump me? Sorry just beat it in to me. LOL

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

yes you cowsgonemadd je is a cat!!

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

Ok so people and JE try to stump me with windows question? If so stump away!LOL

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

Im ready to be stumped! Ask any question like errors your having sortcuts windows programs anything! STump me come on! LOL

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

OK, CGM, You Asked For It (or maybe THEY did...)

Since I've been downloading a lot of stuff per advice at this site, and I've been thinking more about organizing it, I have this question.

I want to make a folder I'll call My Toolbox.

I already have a folder that I put all the setup files I've downloaded into. (C:\Downloads after 7-20-04)

My Toolbox would have sub-folders containing individual files pertaining to a variety of tools. I'd like to view the contents of "Leaktest" folder and see, for instance:
  • shortcut to: Leaktest.exe
  • the page I downloaded from Gibson Research describing this function
  • a notepad I have about it's first use
  • a copy of a post that introduced it to me
or maybe for the folder: "Ad-Aware"
  • link to Lavasoft homepage
  • zip file downloaded
  • shortcut to folder "downloads after 7-20-04" where ad-aware.exe is
  • the logs from ad-aware
  • additional pdf info about plug-ins
  • a tutorial page from bleepingcomputers.com
  • a tutorial from some other forum
I'd like to conserve disk space, so the contents of basic folders like "downloads" or "reports" or "tutorials" should probably remain, with shortcuts to the more topic specific My Toolbox.

3 individual roadblocks exist (for me, not neccessarily others)
  • I haven't put short cuts into folders yet, I've just added or removed them from the desktop
  • spy-bot has a directory in the "tools" tab that I have listed the C:\Downloads after 7-20-04 folder in, since instructional info says that doing so will subject those files to an additional scan, but I don't understand how or when this is done.
  • I wonder if there is some easier method to achieving the end result of having a toolbox that works kinda like opening up my rollaway in the garage when my car has a fouled injector or something
:thumbsup: No immediate high priority concern, but now that I've gotten a better handle on the internet security issues and haven't got hardly anything else on the machine right now, I thought I'd try to set things up for quicker reference from now on. I use the bookmarks in Firefox and have organized them satisfactorily, but mistakes can happen and I'd hate to lose a month of research and the way I remember things should I screwup at some time in the future.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 02:37 PM

I will help you out. Give me a little time. I organize a lot myself so this should be easy! Thanks for yout response. Im just waiting for people to ask me something! ANything else?

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

O and where is this folder going to be located? When you download something is it going to go into it automatic.....?

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:28 PM

What I do is usually this:
  • download from, say CNet, to disk...in firefox, this goes to desktop
  • move it to My Documents
  • move it to C:\Downloads from 7-20-04 (A file I created after reformating on that date)
the folder "My Toolbox" I'd create in either my documents or C: (or possibly in one of 3 partitions on my second HDD)

I usually right-click the downloaded setup file to scan it with AVG, and I've never had a virus show up since I've been using that feature for over a year. So. downloads don't go to that folder automatically.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:32 PM

Also what system do you use. I have XP and i have 94% of your question finished on XP. It is real simple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users