Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Not Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cullism

cullism

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

I need to restore my system to the state it was in yesterday morning (having foolishly downloaded a program which created a Z: drive). When I run System Restore it goes through the motions, reboots, etc., but finally tells me that "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore".

This is not a new problem. I have needed to use System Restore a number of times over the last year but always got the same message. I have tried different restore points without success.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Judah

Judah

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I to am having the very same problem. I purchased a new computer and was having a printer garble problem and tried many times to do a system restore. I have followed it carefully, each time, step by step and received the message that it did not restore sucessfully. Did you ever receive any answers or resolve the problem? If so, please help me. Thanks

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

Exact same problem here....I've tried everything, safe mode, from the command prompt and from the Recovery Console.....no dice!

What's going on here?

#4 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

After making this post I tried running System Restore in Safe Mode. It worked! it's a bit of a nuisance but better than nothing.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:11 AM

A nice resource for System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 lomaxomatic

lomaxomatic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

first of all check whether the system restore is turned on all the drives or not.If you are confident enough and verify that it is done, then plese proceed ahead. most of the softwares generally erases the restore points and the only, thing which is left is the "last good configuration known". While doing the system restore check whether what are dates in whcihc retore backups are present.

just post a message after that.

Edited by lomaxomatic, 29 September 2008 - 05:19 AM.

#7 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

All is OK. I was able to run Restore in Safe Mode.

#8 El Boyero

El Boyero

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

I had the same issue!. The problem is Norton, disable Norton and get any other antivirus. Restore will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users